Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:24 AM   #1

Default CHALLENGE: 4/14/04 - 4/20/04 “Seeing Double”

Betsy asked a while back if we could do a challenge that would help her learn Photoshop Elements. At the time, I didn’t think it was a good idea because we don’t all use the same software, but I’ve rethought the issue, and so this one’s for you, Monkey143!

We’ll be working with an age-old technique, one that’s difficult to do with our cameras but very easy to do in the digital darkroom using layers--and layers, my friends, are the very heart of the the digital darkroom.

The challenge: create a double (or more) exposure with photos taken just for the purpose or with ones already on hand. Keeping in mind that some of the most amazing pictures have come from plain-vanilla methods of double exposure, we might want to limit how extreme we go, perhaps squelching our desire to use the more far-out special effects available to us.

(Any complaints should be directed at Betsy. )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:59 AM   #2

My 35mm SLR has this function and I've tried it once. Let?s just say it wasn't an overwhelming success and leave it there. I put it to the back of my mind and carried on playing with my new toy. So when you brought this up I had to do a search to not only find out what a multiple exposure shot can look like, but also to find out what you would use the function for.
Here are some links to what I found, for anyone like me who has never even thought about using multiple exposures.
http://www.natureworkshops.com/multi...e_-_part_1.htm
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/eclipse.html
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-...34/f_02850.gif - this is a great photo

Hopefully some people will find them useful.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:23 AM   #3

Excellent additional information to the challenge, Ferny. Thank you.

Your mention of being able to do double exposures with your camera reminded me that a couple of techniques exist for those of us with cameras capable of longer exposures and also of 1st or 2nd curtain flash--longer exposure where the flash either fires at the beginning of the exposure or at the end. I keep meaning to play with this, and if I get a chance this week, I'll post the results good...or bad.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:57 AM   #4

Barb,

Dont forget the simple zoom effect

Using a tripod set your telephoto to a wide angle and low F-stop for light gathering ... then quickly zoom and allow the remainder to expose. ... gives a nice double exposure/ghostin effect.. Works even better if you combine with a 2nd curtain flash sync to properly expose if you want it to retain focus detail better
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:18 AM   #5

Barb, can you explain briefly (for those of us who havent figured it out) how to take 2 seperate pictures and combine them into two levels of one picture in photoshop?
Thanks
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:12 PM   #6

This is tough one for someone who still has trouble taking out red eye with those picture manipulation programs. Layers, smayers!!!

I may be able to do something with that "longer exposure where the flash either fires at the beginning of the exposure or at the end" that you mentioned. My cameras will do that and I never thought I'd ever have a use for it. Hmmmmm- We'll see what it does. I have an idea. It will only get posted if it succeeds!

I look forward to seeing what you folks come up with - with this group it should be real interesting! I'm expecting great things.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 3:43 PM   #7

When I was first beating my head against a wall over layers, what finally got me started was being told to visualize layers as if they were sheets of transparent plastic laid one over another. The magic in digital layers is, however, that you can easily change just how transparent they are by using the opacity setting.

These might help with the concept and use of layers:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshoplayers/

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...s/0401-26.html
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:25 PM   #8

oh cool

interesting idea....i'll have to figure out which layer mode will work for this though.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote