Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:51 AM   #21

Betsy, you're definitely getting the hang of it! You went a tad far in your modifications, making it so that, unless one knew it was a bird in the eyes, it wouldn't be recognized as such. However, because the software is new to you, I don't think this error counts for much. Every single thing you did indicates you were thinking carefully about the process, in particular, using the spherize filter. This is the step you took a bit far, but it's also a step many of us might not have thought of. You were attempting to give the tiny image the same curved appearance it would have had in reality. Excellent thinking.

Graphics tablets: Just an opinion here based on a bit of experience with a tablet other than a Wacom--save up your money until you have enough for a Wacom. Anything less is, to my mind, a total waste of dollars. The Wacom is super sensitive.

When working in Photoshop or doing anything that requires little to no keyboard use, I replace the keyboard with the tablet so it's sitting on a firm surface and in a natural position in front of me. I put my keyboard up next to the monitor, then proceed to get a backache from doing what I am right now: typing. (Just a minute... Ah, much better. Just put the keyboard in front of me.) Once you get used to the tablet, you'll find it works way better than a mouse for nearly everything. Right-clicking is one of the few jobs I still relegate to the mouse.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:29 AM   #22

wow...you gotta use the keyboard in photoshop!! ctrl-t ctrl-z ctrl-i.......hotkeys.....make working SOOOO much faster...i only wish they had them for some of the filters.....i'd be able to make the sig down below in like 5 minutes....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:20 AM   #23

I still use the keyboard. It's right there ready for my left hand to make use of all the shortcuts.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:58 PM   #24

Monkey, you're good at this stuff, keep it up!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:46 AM   #25

Thanks! I think Dear Hubby is starting to think he's losing me to this computer, camera and forum! That's OK - for years our social life revolved around his music. It's my turn a little! (j/k - he's really supportive!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:05 PM   #26

Hi. This is Monkey's Mom (yes, the one in the gosh awful ugly orange '60s dress that looked like a maternity outfit)- and I am totally photograpghically inept. I am very impressed with what she's doing, and I am trying to learn some of these neat things too - but so far am totally lost! But I am here to tell you that the poster who identified my bird as a cockatiel is right - that's what Minnie Pearl is.
I do enjoy reading your comments. I hope you don't mind a totally non-photographic, non-artistic person checking in and appreciating your conversations.
God bless,
Sarah
nanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:33 PM   #27

Sarah.... you are welcome to join in anytime.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:06 PM   #28

i don't mind at all
new posters are important to keep the forum alive
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 6:06 AM   #29

Yep, I owe JodyQ a big "egg on my face" - she was right! ops:

Mo, you might want to add that maternity-looking dress was from the post I made in "Good Old Days" challenge, so others who didn't catch it won't think you're totally loopy (like your daughter).

One of these days, guys, she will post photos. She also has a background in art.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 6:38 AM   #30

Default Betsy

Hi Betsy,
I thought I might be correct on the Cockatiel. There are many varieties (mutations). Any way, I still like your shot.

One more correction though. I am a "he". Here is my "monkey" photo.

Hey, I think it might even qualify as a Double entry? Done a few years ago using something (Photoshop 4? -- ) -- can't remember anymore.
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote