Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:20 PM   #1

Default Seeing Double : Repost : Three RGB Kids Sitting By The Pool

Upon Barbara implicit request .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Two versions, a balanced and an unbalanced one.

Which one do u prefer ?

P.S :
- just played with hue changing and horizontal flips.
- the most important thing was to join visible levels before resizing the picture. Hadn't I done it a line would have appeared exactly in the middle of the two reflected shots.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:40 PM   #2

nice job...the only thing i can say....is....the blue one...the shadows are different' fromthe others......and you might want to add some more color to the orange and green "swimmies" so that they don't look like they were just colored........

nice
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:25 PM   #3

As you know, I've always preferred the "unbalanced" one. I really like this image.

That's an interesting thing about the shadows that Vito picked up on. I never noticed it before. How did this happen?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:33 PM   #4

he flipped that one (or i would guess the other two) horizontally to make it different......but the shadow shouldn't change....
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:00 AM   #5

Interesting work!

The balanced one is my choice. The shadows don't bother me as much as the V shaped portion of the grating next to the green child in the unbalanced one. It draws my eyes directly to it.

Puck
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:57 AM   #6

Good eyes, Vito !
And I agree with Puck M : that V is drawing attention !

Quote:
and you might want to add some more color to the orange and green "swimmies" so that they don't look like they were just colored........
Sorry, I do not understand.
Boxers have been deliberatly desaturated as well as external glow has been added to them ( in this reduced and compressed version is not as immediate as in the full size uncompressed one though ) in order to provide some elements that were indicating somehow the artificial nature of them.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:23 AM   #7

You know, Sergio, when you think about how you deliberately pointed out which boy was real and which ones weren't, you were, in a way, apologizing for having created a "fake." If that was the case, you should know that you need never apologize. All's fair in love, war, and art.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:26 AM   #8

ok....by "add more color" i mean the original (which i think is the blue) has more seperate colors....i was just saying you should just make the blue parts on it orange or green when you doubled the kid.....
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:52 PM   #9

Actually, the first looks "out of balance" to me because it's too designy, with no immediate center of interest because it is too patterned. The blue, the green, the orange...take your pick. However, the second is balanced because it provides negative space and gives the mind attention to natural and contrived color. The more natural color is on the right and the contrived colors are on the left, lending attention to the right, the natural.

That's my critique on this one. I like the challenge immensely and understand that it is completely subjective, as all art is, but "some" things in art can be contrived into objectivity if one trys "real hard"
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:51 AM   #10

Pheww, so many things to say !
Barbara, thanx. However I was not apologizing at all ! I was just explaining what I had done. Apologize for a fake ? As you know, I simply love doing fakes ;-) ;-) ;-)

Vito Now I understand what you were saying.
Not to apologyze but just to explain ;-)
Well, I went back to that November work I recalled what happened.
I changed the hue of the "clones" with the hue - saturation tool.
However, since inner colors were much vivid, I recolored them once again : have a try and u will see how hue changed colors look like.

Normcar , what I was aiming to was the unbalanced version at first.
And your vision is very near to mine.
I really wanted the "real one" to be dissociated and in minority with respect to the false ones. As I described before I added some elements to revel the false nature of them.

The balanced version was a collateral work I had with just some more mouse clicks.
However, in this case , attention should have been paid more to the perfect simmetry of colors, shapes, and shades too ;-)
In this case I really apologyze : yes, it could have been done better ;-)
And I must admit that the title can be somehow misleading : RGB implies a sort of balancing of the three components as they are usuallt coupled together with no predominant one !