Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

Default CHALLENGE: 4/21/04 – 4/27/04 “Book Jacket”

Because of Selvin, the planned challenge for this week was postponed due to his suggestion of illustrating children’s books with our photos. Realizing not everyone reads to children or necessarily even remembers such books from long ago, perhaps more leeway is necessary. So, instead of children’s stories, let’s do titles of books from any category we want, taking a photo that could be used on a book jacket.

We want book titles that exist, not the made-up sort, so look at your own books, at the bestseller list, or browse at Amazon.com. For instance, on the current bestseller list is Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella for which we might photograph one person whispering in the ear of another. Also on the list is Dan Brown’s Angels & Demons that might spark our imagination enough to turn one or more photos into digital art by adding wings and horns. We don’t have to have read the book. Often, just titles alone can set our gears in motion.

Besides the usual rule of starting the subject line with the name of the challenge, please supply the book's title and author.

Thank you, Selvin!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:16 PM   #2

Wow, this one seems a little tougher than usual.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3

Yes, I think it is. I thought it would be a snap until I started looking at my own book collection. I could come up with photo ideas for a number of them, but the actual getting of those photos would be a problem.

One thing I realized is that it's far better to use the title of a book you've never read and know nothing about, allowing the title alone to spark ideas.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:26 PM   #4

hmm....i'll have to find some books...lol

i don't have many "novels" but i can look at Amazon.com,

well....i have "The Chronicles Of Narnia" by C.S Lewis, but i'm not sure i'll be able to find a prince to take a picture of or leave the planet to take pictures of "Parelandra" by C.S Lewis
lol

i'll find something....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:38 PM   #5

I'll borrow a gun and looking for a mocking bird tomorrow.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

Default Boob Title

Was pondering "Doghouse Roses" by Steve Earle......hmmm
.....need to find a neighborhood doghouse.....
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:33 PM   #7

Vito, I was going to do the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but I only have one of the three...
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:18 PM   #8

Barbara,

Thanks for the credit but like many things in life it was triggered by an entry from one of our members - the plane flying over the mushrooms. It reminded me so much of my fantasies about Alice in Wonderland, don't know why but then again that's what fantasies are... Besides, I loved Alice in Wonderland.

Now I have to look beyond my titles such as "Non Parametric Statistics", "Multiple Linear Regression", etc... They don't quite evoke anything too whimsical, well maybe not...

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:33 AM   #9

Selvin, you love those old and wonderful fantasies, so how about Alice or, instead, Through the Looking Glass? You're surrounded by a world of flowers--do you know anyone with a mouse or two? (Flowers for Algernon)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:01 AM   #10

Barbara, sorry for the long delay in time. Got sidetracked by several issues here at home and work plus I'm a temproraty bachelor since my wife is away in Chicago starting a few days ago.

I appreciate your attempt to contact me. Tried to respond by pm but was infomed I did not have access to pm. Don't know why, so this method.

Mahalo for your concern.

I rushed home and finally posted a cover, it's possible it didn't make the time line but then again, the fun is in the attempt.
I deliberately wanted to stay away from flowers etc... so hemmed and hawed unecessarily.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote