Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:18 PM   #1

Default Book Jacket: Sailing Ships

This was a tough one. To do well it requires creativity as well as a decent image editing program. I'm in short supply of both. ( I did just order "Paint Shop Pro 8". I can already feel the pain I'll surely experience trying to learn it.)

We have a painting hanging on our family room wall that we picked up at a little art shop on a trip to Florida a few years ago. It's by an unknown artist who simply signed it "Hy dan". For all I know it may have come from one of those picture factories where one guy paints birds, another seas, another ships, etc., etc.

However it was done, I really like it. It's very soothing to look at as I sit in my easy chair in the evenings.

The picture of the painting was taken when I first got my Z1 and wanted to see how far the flash would carry and how that 10x zoom worked. I was sitting in my chair about 20 feet from the painting which was on the wall in front of me. I zoomed until the painting filled the frame. The posted picture has been cropped to approach the size of a book as well as reduced in size. I saved it two or three times so the image may look a bit ragged, but I did learn something in the process. I even made an attempt to add a title and author using a program that came with my printer, "Photo Max Pro". It's the only program I have that will allow typing on a picture. The book, "Sailing Ships" by Ron Van Der Meer, et al does indeed exist. At least, I saw it for sale on amazon.com!

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 6:02 AM   #2

Nicely done! And I hope you like your Jasc - it's probably what I would have bought for myself if I hadn't gotten PE2 - it's rated so very highly!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:20 AM   #3

nice job on the pic.

And to calm your fears on learning PSP 8, I used the PS 5.0 that came with my G3, and the trial version of PSP. Before buying mine.
I thought that, although theres no doubt PS is more powerfull, PSP can do pretty much anything you want and is (IMO) much more intuitive. I purchased PSP8 because from the moment I started using it I found that things seemed to be right where you'd expect to find them. In PS I felt things were not always where you'd expect them to be.
Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:24 AM   #4

first off.....great job puck!! spectacular nice painting

tbel...if you only had photoshop 5....then you haven't experience photoshop.....i've never seen PSP8...but PSP7 didn't have some stuff that i really liked about PS7...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:42 PM   #5

You did a fine job! Simple, colorful, to the point, the picture says what the book's about. Stop all that apologizing, Puck. There's not need for it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
first off.....great job puck!! spectacular nice painting

tbel...if you only had photoshop 5....then you haven't experience photoshop.....i've never seen PSP8...but PSP7 didn't have some stuff that i really liked about PS7...
I don't doubt PS7 can do more ( it should for the price).

My point was that he shouldn't have any trouble getting going on PSP8.
I had no intentions of starting a debate on wich is better.
Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:00 PM   #7

lol....i knew that...just pointing out that little detail
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:29 PM   #8

I received PSP8 today. After cussing it for a couple hours I'm finally figuring out. The easy stuff is very intuitive. The more advanced stuff takes some study. I've been playing with the warping brush. I turned our cat into a "vulcan cabbit". You know, a cat with 6" long pointy ears. Rather fun to play with. The more I play the more I figure out. I think this program will be all I'll ever need and more. For $39 on ebay it was a deal.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:17 AM   #9

Sounds like a good deal, and lots of fun, to boot! Enjoy!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:38 AM   #10

Just a thought, if anyone needs them I have 3 original Adobe PS Elements 2 and would gladly give away 2 of them. Puck, I like the book and like to see a person working within the limitations of what they have. Too many times peoplwe givwe up and say I can't because i don't hve what they have. Learn to use what you do have, to the fullest before moving on. My son. won'ts to use my Canon and hasn't even learned how to compose and take descent pics with his point/shoot.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote