Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:52 PM   #1

Default Book Jacket: Crash

My hubby took this photo on friday when I drove in after work. Our job is driving 600ks a day out in the farming areas of the south west. Unfortunatey I hit a kangaroo They are a serious problem here, plague amounts really. Anyway I could not even think about the damage (in the thousands of dollars) but thought it would make a good book cover.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 2:36 AM   #2

What's a vehical?
I like the idea, but the logo takes up too much of the picture for me. Perhaps a shot of the wing and headlight may have been better, it looks like it's got more damage.

How did the kanga steaks taste? :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 4:21 AM   #3

ahhh should have been Vehicle

yeah hubs took the photo so could not be helped, the van is in getting repaired. I dont eat kangaroo, yuk.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:12 AM   #4

Very tongue-in-cheek - nice! I guess that would be similar to hitting a deer here, but it sounds funny to my eastern US ear!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 6:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey143
but it sounds funny to my eastern US ear!
I think bull bars were invented by an Australian to stop so much damage being done to cars when they were hit.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:02 AM   #6

yes we regret not have the roo bar on, we had the bull bar on but the roo bar is more protective.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:53 AM   #7

No 'roos around here but white tailed deer are everywhere. I've hit two over the years.

My Uncle Wally's relative moved up here from Cajun country down in Louisiana. He said, "I've not had to buy meat since I got here. So far this fall, four deer have run into my pickup truck. They are a lot more tasty than Armadillo".

In another story, he tells of the morning he went outside to take his morning constitutional under a high tension power line. While attending to his business a Canadian Goose flew into the power line above his head and fell at his feet. As he'd say, "Dinner from the sky". Listening to his stories told with his Cajun accent would have us rolling on the floor.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:54 AM   #8

The photo and book combination work well...in spite of that small typo. The logo on the hood is so close to the title that it seems as if it is actually part of the title. I would have advised removing it, but there's such a wonderful irony in it that it begs to be kept intact. I just can't figure out how it could be placed so it would be obvious that it's on the hood.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:31 AM   #9

'roo bar?!?! too great! I have a co-worker who has a coin pouch (from Australia) made out of an unmentionable part of the male kangaroo anatomy - it's fantastic - buttery-soft velvet leather, and seamless. I requested one for me but he's yet to go back to get one...
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:48 PM   #10

unfortunatly we have way too many kangaroos here in the south west of WA. Recently a young couple were killed when a roo jumped out into them on a bridge as a lorry was coming the other way. These young people hit the side of the bridge and their car bounced straight back into the path of the lorry. the lorry driver said there was nothing he could do, he ended up in the river himself in the lorry. The most annoying thing is that it is bad in drought times as the roos are starving and need the be culled to bring the population down, then we see people from overseas who think they are cute furry things saying we are cruel to shoot them. You have to see a pa ck of them to believe it, if you've heard of the saying "breeding like rabbits" you'd think it should be "breeding like Kangaroos" they always have one suckling and one in the pouch.
Ok off my soapbox