Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:01 AM   #1

Default Book jacket: Dachshund in memoriam

I've actually done a book cover recently, for the in-laws' memoirs. I thought I'd crave indulgence and post it even though it doesn't properly meet the challenge, due to lack of relation between title and image. However, it has one or two interesting photographic points.

The original image, taken by my daughter a couple of years ago, came from a very cheap disposable 35mm camera on 400ASA film and I filmscanned the negative. Mother-in-law objected to the shape of her left leg, so daughter & I digitally rolled down her trouser leg. This is obvious in the poor copy I've posted, but no-one from >150 readers has noticed when reading the book.

The cover, of which this is the front half, was finally prepared alongside the rest of the book by Stephen Young, a layout artist based in France, before transmission as pdf files to the printers.

Please note that no dachshunds were harmed in the manufacture of this cover, but it stands as a memorial to Wendy Weed, the little one under father-in-law's arm, who died two days ago at the age of 15.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:24 AM   #2

Alan,
After a story like that, I'd give you a dispensation.
Very nice work even if it doesn't qualify.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:46 AM   #3

It qualifies. After all, it was published, was it not? It's simple and honest, not a gimmick to be seen, which is, I think, appropriate to the book. Nicely done, Alan.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote