Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Close Up - My Watch

This illustrates the fact that in a close up everything shows, including the dirt and grime. I should have cleaned it before taking the picture. Notice that it is ticking. The flywheel (or whatever watchmakers call that little wheel) is blurred. My shutter speed wasn't fast enough to stop the action.

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:18 AM   #2

Wow, that is gunky! That's one reason why I masked out parts of my mixer (my secret) - there was a big thumbprint.

Nice action shot, nice close focusing. Good study of shapes. I like the mechanisms in watches, for some reason, so I really like this one.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

Monkey143,
Your're sweet! You always find something nice to say - even about a picture like that one.

I mainly posted it to show its short comings. I forgot to mention that the lighting was not very good, coming from a single light bulb above and slightly to the right, which gave a glare at the top and a shadow at the bottom. It's tough to get lighting on a subject when you have to put the camera so close to it and your're inside with a goose neck lamp. Here's where one of those ring light flashes would have come in handy. I could have gone outside in the daylight. I didn't think of that at the time.

Hey I think you should have left the finger print. It would have given it a personal touch. :lol:
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:22 AM   #4

Well, at least it would show my stand mixer has been used, anyway! You're right - the lighting isn't the best here, but I'm looking past that - don't you think there's something quite paradoxical in an object that is used to indicate the passage of time, but shown in a way that absolutely everything is caught STOPPED in time - except the little tell-tale wheel, whirring away? To me, it's a conundrum of negations, starting with the small/far away and progressing through to the big picture/close to home:

Time (wheel) in timelessness (stopped gears) in time (watch) in timelessness (photo) in time (posted for those of us living under the authority of time). It's much like an MCEscher for the mind - much like last week's challenge of the computer in computer in computer. Bet you never expected all that philosophy when you posted what you thought was a bad example, hunh?!? You didn't know I was a philosophy minor, did you?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey143
don't you think there's something quite paradoxical in an object that is used to indicate the passage of time, but shown in a way that absolutely everything is caught STOPPED in time - except the little tell-tale wheel, whirring away? To me, it's a conundrum of negations, starting with the small/far away and progressing through to the big picture/close to home:

Time (wheel) in timelessness (stopped gears) in time (watch) in timelessness (photo) in time (posted for those of us living under the authority of time). It's much like an MCEscher for the mind - much like last week's challenge of the computer in computer in computer. Bet you never expected all that philosophy when you posted what you thought was a bad example, hunh?!? You didn't know I was a philosophy minor, did you?
WOW! Are you sure philosophy wasn't your MAJOR! - "Conumdrum of negations" - I don't think I've ever used that phrase in a sentence in my life! I'm not real sure what it even means. You have taken a poor shot of a "gunky" watch and turned it into a deep pholosophical statement. I'm impressed! :shock:
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:14 AM   #6

LOL - I'm not even sure that's really a phrase - but it beats "trying-to-solve-it-puzzle of things that cancel each other out"
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:46 AM   #7

hahaha....you guys are funny...

nice shot considering the lighting...i personally think it would've worked better with it vertical....but that is just me.....also....the blurredwheel......is much better that way...shows that the watch works....of course...i don't know how you can tell time with this! lol
is this the back of the watch? lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:01 AM   #8

Isn't there some rule in the forums about dirty photos?

You know, I think it's more the dirt than anything else that lowers the quality of this one. Imagining the grime gone, it turned into a striking picture. Then I spotted the doohickey that holds what I want to call a flywheel, too, and I wondered just how closely you could focus on only that part. There's a single spot of rose surrounded by a light gold, then the darker gold of the wheel. (We need microscope lenses for our cameras.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Isn't there some rule in the forums about dirty photos?
Very punny, Barb! I agree - this could be more aesthetic with a good cleaning. Or cloning.