Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Close Up - Organic and Metalic

[/img]http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/v40/rgrotts/nail_tree.jpg[img]
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:20 PM   #2

been using computers for 25 years and I'll be dipped if I can get this to work.....cut and paste, all familiar, typed [img], etc, same result....someone kick me in the head.....
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

Let me undip you and stop you from kicking yourself in the head - your forward slash was switched to the beginning command, from the end. I switched them back. Let's see if this works now...
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:25 PM   #4

The texture and contrast on this are amazing - but the nail is so similar to the tree in tone that it almost gets lost. If you have PSE2, could you "saturation sponge" just the nail and see what happens? This is very nicely done.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:36 PM   #5

Thank you Master Po(ette),
I'm going to go at this again with another pic, maybe it will work this time. Don't have Photo Shop, just about everything else though, MS Digital Image Pro, PhotoImpact (just got it and haven't learned one thing about it, yet, plus a couple others). I'm not sure what you mean about the nail or if the function you refer to translates into another function of one of my other apps. Been wrestling with this for a few days, plus just got a new CPU (back up and reload everything...) and rearranged my whole office.
Grasshopper
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:50 PM   #6

Bob, Betsy is talking about increasing the colors in the nail, making the reds redder and the yellows yellower. Another thing you might do is crop the photo. Fooling around with my scrollbar to simulate cropping, I found that the nail being positioned closer to the bottom looks better.

(You'll get those darned IMG tags sorted out eventually. Keep the faith. )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:54 PM   #7

RG, if you don't mind me making an off-the-wall suggestion that will throw your CPU for a loop - I think I remember in another post DX stating he had two extra copies of Photoshop Elements 2 that he would be happy to send to the right owner. You might PM him and see if I'm spreading terrible rumors. If not, snap one up, get rid of the others, go to your local library and read up on PE2. Members here are fantastic help, if nothing else, and can be great free online support with the software. But I think you'll find the benefits of PE2 over the other software will be worth the trouble of figuring it out. If you take the time, it's pretty intuitive and can do amazing things with your natural talent!
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:02 PM   #8

Haven't left yet but thank you for the complements and suggestions. Sometimes I'm a little bullheaded (Swedish and German) and have been resisting Photoshop just because that's all I see. I like what I've got but would take up someone if there's a cheapie floating around. I'd cover postage, etc. Just can't afford anything else right now. The new CPU was a biggie ($$$), previous one was haunted.....
Actually I'd like to get a nice telephoto lense vs more software. Who is it that may have the extra copy?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:09 PM   #9

Let me go look where I thought it was, and see fi I can help you. If so, I'll PM you.