Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 4, 2004, 3:01 PM   #11

hmm...i'll have to find a bit that would work....IF i want to make it out of metal lol....i don't really have anywhere to put this stuff now anyway...and i don't do any portraits.,..and don't necessarily want to....(i have to for family shots lol)

would be better to make them then buy them though....

wouldn't have the foldability that some you would buy have....right?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 3:33 PM   #12

Because of just such storage problems, I got mean a couple of days ago, ripping throughall myclothes and tossing everything I haven't worn in a year. This eliminated the need for an off-season closet, which is now my very own photography closet. I expect it'll be filled to the ceiling before the week is out. I could always throw out my husband's clothes, too.

Studio lighting isn't just for portraits, you know.(What is this "dude" emoticon supposed to mean?)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 3:39 PM   #13

photosbyvito - any metal bit the right size. You can get them anywhere just like masonry and wood bits.

bcoultry - cool?
By the way, in word the spell checker tells me that your name is really poultry, courtly or country. Which one is the real you?

edit - tired = terrible speeling
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 4:03 PM   #14

dude....that emoticon is like totally groovy.....like wow...

haha

Old May 4, 2004, 5:06 PM   #15

Once again, you people have made yourselves at home, in my postIt seems this only gets started when I post a WAY cool pic.No one seems to want to comment on it. Oh well i will be happy with just teaching you grasshoppers. As for the lights I will be happy to. probably can't get to it before the weekend. So Barbara can't shut the forum down yet:PIt really is nothing more than quartz worklites, 3 to a wooden frame, and some diffused plexigalss like goes in flourescent fixtures. I got it at the local glass place. I can suspend it from the ceiling or on boom stands i made from conduit. I also have some singles on stands with a diffuser made out of a piece of a bed sheet, stretched over it. And i have 2 300 watt in reflectors mounted to white umbrellas, i bought at Wal-mart. Got to go tend to my spaghetti and meat sauce.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 5:31 PM   #16

Rick, do quartz lights run as hot as halogen? I was looking at the halogen work lights in Home Depot the other day and, just by chance, the guy waiting on me was into photography. He told me that the 500W halogen lights throw off a huge amount of heat, so I rejected them, thinking I might look into the smaller halogen lamps that are, dollar per watt, awfully expensive. Work light about $10. Little desk lamp about the same.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 5:43 PM   #17

wat materials do you use for all these stands? 2 bys?
Old May 4, 2004, 7:26 PM   #18

Spaghetti and meat sauce!?!? I made a stir fry and, due to a little flab I'm starting to notice, I only had a small portion :?Your spaghetti sounds marvelous.

As for your photo, I like the simplicity of the big picture and the delicate intricacies if you look closely.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 8:15 PM   #19

Yes the quatrz are hot but not as bad as the halogen. I have mine about a foot from th plastic diffuser and have never had a problem. The 300w incandescents are even cooler.The best is the 300w with the umbrella. it does get hot, in the room, but the alternative is strobes and even the alien bees are to expensive for an amateur, such as I.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:00 PM   #20

well....the thing i don't really like about flash....or strobes...is that you can't see how much light there is.....you kinda have to guess the exposure...which i haven't had much success with...