Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 7, 2004, 10:06 AM   #21

Vito, I don't think Toners was saying this is how all photographers should handle it. He was describing how one person set out to improve his own photography. Extreme as his method might have been, it still has a lesson within it. If we slow down, if take the time to look at our subject from every angle, if we study the light and how one object plays against the next, it'll make better photographers of us.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 10:15 AM   #22

It looks like this method has been helpful to him :

http://www.jimbrandenburg.com/flash/index_flash.html
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 10:35 AM   #23

Follow the link Sergio gave, Vito. I just did and was deeply humbled. How could I ever think I might one day be a good photographer?
Old May 7, 2004, 10:53 AM   #24

Barb,

I was humbled last night. Given the full moon a couple days ago, I was trying to get a nice moon shot. I thought of you. I've slept through it, so this morn at 4AM I got up, hauled my tripod out and took some shots of the moon. I braved the chattery-sounding animal a few feet away from me in the darkness and woke the neighbors with the dog barking (and I'm sure, in my white robe, I looked ghostly). While the moon looked nice and sharp, on "film" you can see the haze and the clouds the naked eye could not see. Kudos to you for your moon shot a few weeks back. I have three half-decent hazy moon silhouettes and incredible need for a nap.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 11:57 AM   #25

:OHOLY COW!!!!! those pictures were unbelievable gorgeous!!

thanks for posting that sergio....

btw...how the heck do you take a panorama of ripples? or is not stitched?

.....that was inspirational....and humbling :-?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 12:22 PM   #26

Betsy, that was one moon shot out of a kazillion, and it took a lot of work in Photoshop to get it anywhere near what I'd envisioned. The only trick I used was that I didn't take the shot at night. It wasone of thosemorning moons. Keep a lookout for them. Not only do they allow you to sleep, but they're a LOT easier to meter for.

Vito, let's not forget that Toners was the one to mention Brandenburg. Thanks goes to both him and Sergio.

I just noticed there's a South Park smilie. Isn't that illegal?
Old May 7, 2004, 12:46 PM   #27

I think one of the biggest problems with digital photography is people can get lazy. They can see something and take lots of pictures, review them and then only keep one. With film you're pickier with what you take a picture of in the first place and you try to make sure that every one counts because the film is limited. Of course, it depends on the individual. Some may review each one in great detail and work out why they don't like the ones that they are deleting so they improve their skills. But some will just keep going and going and going. They don't learn anything, but because they can keep redoing their shot is there any great need?
The ability to instantly review and delete pictures is a great tool and perks for digital photography. But it can also be its dark side.

That would be why that guy was so strict on himself, to hone his skills. If we all thought about what we are doing before we take the shot we should all improve. That would be the purpose of only posting one picture a week. We only post our best and we only get to see the best. We learn from ourselves and others, we improve.

Quote:
I just noticed there's a South Park smilie. Isn't that illegal?
It depends if the person who made it got permission form the South Park owners and if he has allowed people to use it publicly. I wouldn't expect the FBI to knock on Steve's door for using it though.
Same for the Homer.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 1:32 PM   #28

Ferny, that was very well said. Those of us who've spent more of our photographic years with film than with digital may have an advantage because it became part of our thinking to not waste film, to think about what we were shooting.

In the end, we want toproduce good pictures because of skill, not dumb luck.

But Vito, you just may need some of that good old dumb luck with those rascals, the herons. Definitely, see how rapid shooting works on your camera.
Old May 7, 2004, 2:42 PM   #29

holy cow.....i just was out shooting ants....lol...nice ole' inverse lens trick..a blast....

those little guys are soooooo fast....

this situation is one that i am SOOOOOO glad i have a digital camera....not only because it would be smaller than the "rebel ti" i was thinking of getting but because i could shoot a lot more pictures....and....you pretty much have to.....the guys are so hard to focus on...especially with such small DOF.....i'm gonna post two of around 20 pictures (not including the ones i deleted during the 1 sec preview lol) in close ups....so check them out....

oh sry thanks toners....i didn't realize that was the same guy....btw....which of those photos were during his "90 days"?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 3:31 PM   #30

Quote:
which of those photos were during his "90 days"?
I was wondering the same thing.