Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 7, 2004, 3:46 PM   #31

i'm guessing those snow shots...because it was the 90 days from september to december.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 5:43 PM   #32

oh yeah....here is a link to those ant pics i was talking about.....

i think they came out pretty good....wat do YOU think?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=129352
Old May 7, 2004, 6:04 PM   #33

They looked pretty darned good. I like the first better than the second because of its clarity. Pretty soon, I'll be able to take lots of ant pictures right on my kitchen counter. They always invade at the beginning of the summer. Why don't you ask your mother if you can invite some friends in for lunch?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 11:25 PM   #34

if you do seriously want to try to take some...the inverted lens trick is fantastic...

i have used my teleconverter and my dads old 50mm....but the 50mm worked better....and they lenses didn't touch each other so that works perfectly....

oh yeah..to my point...lol

if you try this....you'll have to be in a very patient mood.....today i took some...and i was very suprised.....i was out there for over an hour chasing the little "buggers" around....and i wasn't getting frustrated even though i only managed to get two that had any part of the ant in focus and realized how bad my shutter lag is on this G2....lol.....anyway.....once you've been trying for a half hour or so (maybe less for a more experienced photographer) you'll get used to how far away the lens has to be to focus....and how to "predict" where the ant will go....which i eventually started getting used to...lol

i might go out again tomorrow.....might as well while they are still there...not sure how much longer the azaleas(SP? lol....that can't be spelled right.....) will be blooming....

i think it would be cool to see a bunch of other people try this....kinda a challenge within a challenge....it is kinda hard.....DOF and focusing is a nightmare...lol....but can be fun if you have the right attitude while shooting

wow...long post....i'm done...

Old May 8, 2004, 5:57 AM   #35

Wow, vito - that sounds neat. I hope you post your ant photos.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 8:12 AM   #36

Alas, I've no extra lenses to place in front of my own, which happens to have a large filter diameterof 62mm. The best I could probably do isto usemy close-up lens plus a decent magnifying lens.

Do you have manual focus? If so, wouldn't it be easier to set it and then wait foran ant to crawl into view? Orhow about doingthe same with the shutter button depressed halfway? Maybe you're trying all this, but I mentioned it just in case you aren't.
Old May 8, 2004, 9:16 AM   #37

well....it is kinda weird....i normally have it halfway down almost the entire time...and kinda focus by moving the lens closer and farther.....i might try that manual focus thing.....good idea...wait....i'm not sure i can...i don't think i can use macro mode with manual i'll have to try it out....
Old May 8, 2004, 9:23 AM   #38

Oh, you must be able to focus manually in macro mode. It would be too cruel a thing for the manufacturer to do to you! I've found that doing macros is one of the areas of photography where manual focus can sometimes be an absolute necessity.
Old May 8, 2004, 9:33 AM   #39

hmm....well...the macro symbol is in the same spot as the manual symbol..and i think i've tried it once....but that really stinks if i can

i guess i fought with the autofocus yesterday...so i could always do it again today....
Old May 8, 2004, 12:34 PM   #40

well....i took some more today, but unfortunately, since the lens isn't connected, i am not able to use the manual focus. I "could" tape it on...but i'm not sure i can manually focus the macro...i'll try it eventually....but for now...i've figured out a way that works pretty well....

which iiiiis...

i hold the shutter halfway down until the green light goes on, then move the lens closer/farther to focus instead....then i can snap the picture a lot faster...

here is my latest shot

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

it looks like some sort of mosquito...