Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 5, 2004, 1:06 PM   #1

I've resisted the temptation to call this thread "Doors : Door" so surely I get some brownie points there?
This is the door to the workshop which holds the lathe from the swarf thread. It is almost what I wanted. I emphasise almost as I would have liked it to have been more central, not to have been so sharply cut off in the bottom corners and to have shown lots more of the bottom. Unfortunately the weather (cold and starting to rain) and me not being able to see what I was taking a picture of (concrete floor...) prevented me getting what I really wanted. But it's close.
I decided to use this door because around here I'm slightly limited to my choice. Also, the lines and material and shape of it produce good shadows and reflections. That's why it was taken from low down, to show shadows.
It's something I'll probably play with (don't worry, I won't post this again bcoultry).
It was slightly edited, colours and rotations etc. And I added some more pebbledash to the top right which didn't have any and instead was a plain grey area which didn't fit in with the image. It is slightly dark because of the lighting, but I wanted to keep the cold metal look. It is a security door after all.
I may regret posting my entry so early after I see what you guys post.

[align=center][/align]
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2004, 1:29 PM   #2

very cool angle!great job!

i'm being very picky now..so you don't need to listen to me..lol...but if you can.....i'd suggest taking this shot again....but looking very closely through the viewfinder (or at the lcd screen) and make sure the lines are as even as possible...maybe even measure and mark the exact spot you should stand.....i would suggest using a tripod...then you'll be able to get it exactly level.....so basically....if i'm not mistaken....if you stand with the camera on the tripod EXACTLY level and exactly in the middle of the door..but a foot or so back (about where you were here..) you will be able to get an almost mirror image going.....the only difference being the doorknob...I'm a person that likes symmetry...so i would like the shot better if it were "perfectly" aligned and all that....but i do know that a couple people on this forum don't necessarily like it perfectly aligned...

ok...have fun!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 1:39 PM   #3

Niceshot Ferny. You're a braver man than me, going outside in the rain.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 4:19 PM   #4

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
you will be able to get an almost mirror image going.....the only difference being the doorknob...**I'm a person that likes symmetry...so i would like the shot better if it were "perfectly" aligned and all that....but i do know that a couple people on this forum don't necessarily like it perfectly aligned...
I know what you mean. I wanted to keep the lock though.

The one problem with your suggestion though, is the ground gets in the way. The step is about an inch high and my head isn't narrow enough to slip under the camera and look at the screen. I did take a few and hoped that one would be centred, but none were. I had to stop because of the rain, which looks set to continue this week so I posted this. I may not get another chance before next week.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

You gave yourself a set of problems with this one, didn't you? Your description of what you wanted says to me you're likely to try again. If you do and it succeeds, post a link to it in this thread.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:15 PM   #6

hmm...that is true...i didn't notice that...if you were to move over....to make it perfectly aligned ...you'd lose the lock...shoot....

maybe back up a bit...nah...that doesn't work cuz you said the ground is in the way....ahh....and idea! just cut the door in half! turn the camera vertical...and just take it of the one side.....it's worth a shot right?

haha
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote