Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 7, 2004, 9:34 AM   #21

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
then let's do two weeks.....
Let's give it some time. Not everyone who's regularly involved here has had a chance to vote on it yet.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:18 AM   #22

I think we need to ask ourselves will extending the challenge to two weeks result in more entries? Do the people who cannot find time to do a challenge in one week really be able to find the time in an additional week? From what I've seen, the frequent contributors to challenge are usually chomping at the bit for the next challenge to come. I know I am by the time Tuesday rolls around.

What if the problem is attacked a different way? Maybe a way that will please all sides, the side wanting two weeks, the side wanting one post per challenge, and the side wanting a challenge per week. This may sound odd at first, but what if we post the results for a challenge proposed the week before. It would work like this, lets take this weeks challenge as an example. Now we are all posting our challenge about "doors". The current challenge pasted at the top of the forum is of course CHALLENGE: 5/5/04 - 5/11/04 "Doors". Now, even though this week we are posting about "doors" what if, in the challenge post we go ahead and give the challenge for next week. This way, you have a whole week post the results of the challenge, and an additional week to think about it essentially giving you two weeks to work on it. But, we still post one picture per challenge per week, and the current challenge and next challenge will change every week.So the post would look like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGE: 5/5/04 - 5/11/04 "Doors"

There's little to say about this week's challenge other than that we're not referring to a certain well-known rock group. Plain old doors. Doors that swing, doors that slide, little doors, big doors, high-class doors, broken doors. Pay attention: we're not talking about a doorframe or archway but quite literally about the door itself.

That's it. No rules. Just doors.

Next Week's Challenge for 5/12/04 - 5/18/04 "Technology"

Next week's challenge is "Technology". Old technology, new technology, it doesn't matter. blah blah blah. Insert description here.

JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:23 AM   #23

that is a interesting idea....that would work well cuz then you could even TAKE the shots in the first week....but only post them the second week........or something like that....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:27 AM   #24

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
that is a interesting idea....that would work well cuz then you could even TAKE the shots in the first week....but only post them the second week........or something like that....

My thoughts exactly. You have a whole week to take pictures and work on it, and a week to post. But, since you have a week to post if you got behind and didn't get to work on the challenge you essentially have that whole additional week to work on it and post as well.
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 12:08 PM   #25

Essentially, you're solving a problem that isn't part of the equation. "Warning" ahead of time what the next challenge will be is certainly an excellent idea, and I just might do so, but it still doesn't give people the time they seem to want. Also, the doors challenge isn't as popular as was the close-up challenge nor the one on old photographs, so what you're seeingright now is a slightly atypicalho-hum reaction.

Petersen's Photographic does something very similar to our challenges, and theirs occurs but once a month, seeming to well suit their readers. It gives them time to work, study, go on trips, and generally take care of the business of life but still submit a photo or two.

What I've been thinkingabout is changing the duration to two weeks but lifting the one-photo limit. If I see I've come up with a ho-hum challenge such as the current one, I'll just say the heck with it, posting a new challenge the very next week. After all, the maker of the rules can break them.
Old May 10, 2004, 2:24 PM   #26

Vito, where's your door?
Old May 10, 2004, 2:50 PM   #27

this one post thing is killing me....and having a hard time finding "the perfect one"...lol

i'll take one tomorrow and post it i think...if i can manage riding over to the park....

they have nice old buildings there...so you never know
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 2:52 PM   #28

I would like two weeks. As you can see, my ability to post or comment has been hard since the good weather started. Part of it is my fault (golf season has started) so my time to shoot is less. I can also spend more time looking at what people do an appreciate their work more if there was another week.

Gil
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 3:34 PM   #29

It's folks like you, Gil, who will likely do better with a two-week span. So many of us work and have families and have a lot of other stuff going on in our lives.

--Barbara Coultry
Equipment: Olympus E-20N, FL-40 flash, M-CON-35 Macro Extension, TCON-300 Tele Extension, Epson 1270 printer
http://home.nycap.rr.com/coultry/pages/index.htm
Old May 10, 2004, 6:09 PM   #30

Thanks for the comment Barbara. I have been feeling very guilty about not being part of the group. Even though I take my camera with me everywhere I go, since it is nice out, I do not want to come in till its dark. By that time, it is around 9 10 pm and I just don't have the time to download, work on images, upload to websites, etc. It is interesting that now that the weather is nice, I don't have time to all the things I want to do. just having more time to work on imagea and get them ready to post takes the pressure off and makes this interest of ours less taxing. After all the idea is to enjoy and learn. Being under pressure to meet a very quick deadline takes some of the fun out of what we do.

These are just my thoughts. I am always open to suggestions.
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote