Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 8, 2004, 4:56 PM   #11

You'll laugh, Jody - I sure did - Johnstown, PA is the closest "city" to me. I'm in the Laurel Highlands. I don't go to Johnstown unless I have to, to shop (I hate shopping, for the most part). :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 5:13 PM   #12

very nice shot! i like how the door leads you through the carpeted area right out to the pool....a great way to spend the summer...or in your case...the fall....spring...winter..and summer (a pool is a necessity in the summer isn't it?)

during the summer...do you have to "air condition" your pool? or does the water stay below 90 degrees?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 5:29 PM   #13

Betsy,

Yeah, about the only thing Johnstown has of any interest, is the incline plane (does it still run?), and I never was on it until I was forced back to the city (impending funeral)in the early 80s. My father was still living in a 2 room house off the top of Frankstown hill road until sometime in the late 70s. That is 2 rooms, as in the Kitchen/Bedroom, and the Living/Bedroom. The "bathroom" was out the back door and 100 feet that-a-way. He had installed a electric pump to the well, so there was running water in the sink, but there still was no plumbing. It went into a big bucket underneath.

One of the "nicest" videos I ever saw on TV, was shots of a place we lived in on Bedford Street, floating away in the 1977 flood. There was also some video of one of the projects buildings we lived in, with the wall missing. I remember catching frogs, crawlfish and other critters in the sulfer creek that ran behind it. Icouldn't imagine back thenthat it would have ever gotten so high as to take apart buildings.

Such wonderful memories (some weregood.)

Jody

JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 5:26 AM   #14

Wow - I have never liked Johnstown, but I never knew there were apartments without running water. Yes, your new home is worlds apart!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 7:50 AM   #15

Vito,

Thanks for the complement. Since I haven't had this pool, but for the last 2 months, I can't say how warm it will get come summer. But I imagine it will not go too much past the 90 to 93 range, since our day time temps seldom go past that. I've been down her 9 years and I don't think it has gone above 95. I read that the highest ever was a single 100. Up north, there were weeks where it blew past that.

I can tell you that having a poolheater in the cooler months isneeded.Thewaterwas about 70 when I moved in. That is a little toooooo cooool for me.

Jody
Old May 9, 2004, 7:55 AM   #16

yeah i've swam in 70s before.....not TOO cold....but ..well..yea...too cold...lol

where down there do you live? that is kinda weird it doesn't go past 90...cuz it does almost every year here in new jersey......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 8:23 AM   #17

Vito,

I'm in Palm Beach county. North of Ft. Lauderdale, South of West Palm beach. East side of state. If you look at a map that includes the Bahama Islands, the tip on the west side of the Islands points just about at me. I'm approx. 8 miles inland now. By the way, the temps down in the FloridaKeys are even move moderate. They are always warmer than us on cool days, and warmer than us on hot days. It is that big blue area around the Florida peninsula that keeps us less hot. It takes a lot of sun to warm up the Atlantic and the Gulf.

Having said that, when we are 90+ degees, the humidity is still 35+, whereas up there, when it gets warmer, the humidity can't maintain (no big blue area) so our 90+ feels much worse than yours. That iswhy we head for into the 100 percent humidity places (pools and thebeach!)

Jody
Old May 10, 2004, 9:56 PM   #18

Nice shot, it reminds of an image one would see in a house magazine. BTB - nice house.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote