Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 16, 2004, 5:55 PM   #11

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot Puck. Too many steps for me, is there a lift ?. :-)When you say crater do you mean an extinct volcano.
There is no lift! If there wasyou'd missthat lovely trail to the top, not to mention all those wonderful steps.

Yes, Diamond Head is the rim of an extinct volcano. As you know the whole Hawaiian Island chain was created by volcanic action. As the earth's crust moved north west over the hot spot new islands were created. Currently there are still active volcanos on the "Big Island" of Hawaii, the southern most island in the chain.There is alsoanother island being created to the south of Hawaii. Give it a few hundred thousand years or so and it should make it's appearance. I plan on going back then to see it!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 2:50 PM   #12

Great photo and perspective, Puck M

I am curious about one thing.Why the steps are "walled in"? Can you explain the purpose of the walls?

(or perhaps Selvin, "our" resident Hawaiian can explain )
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 4:33 PM   #13

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
I am curious about one thing.Why the steps are "walled in"? Can you explain the purpose of the walls?
Check out this web page. It has information on the history of the crater along with more pictures.Diamond Head was a military facility with gun emplacements and a fire control station. It appears the wallsenclosing the steps were to protect thefolks climbing up them and were at one time covered by camouflaging which was supported by the cross beams above the steps.

http://timtouchton.50megs.com/Diamon...ater%20Web.htm
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 6:04 PM   #14

I showed this shot to my wife. She will only climb these stars if Tom Selleck is at the top.
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote