Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 12, 2004, 10:22 PM   #1

The rim is 761 feet above sea level but it takes about 1 hour to walk up the rocky path which runs back and forth on the wall of the crater. Then there's the 271 stair steps to navigate to make it to the top. After this last flight of about 100 steps I was about crawling so I took a shot of what had justabout done me in. The pain was more than offset by the feeling of jubilation I felt. I had made it and I've got the tee shirt to prove it!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 2:39 AM   #2

Puck,

As you would guess, the title caught my eye instantly. Very nice perspective. Each one of those steps has my heel print on them as I struggled up to the top.

In case you have a few minutes to burn you can view my photos of my hike(s) at:

http://www.pbase.com/selvin/hike

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 5:53 AM   #3

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Puck,

As you would guess, the title caught my eye instantly. Very nice perspective. Each one of those steps has my heel print on them as I struggled up to the top.

In case you have a few minutes to burn you can view my photos of my hike(s) at:

http://www.pbase.com/selvin/hike

I thought the title would attract you! That is quite a climb but I'm glad I did it - very nice view from the top.

I'm off to Dayton in a few minutes (10 hour drive) for a big Hamvention. I'll check out your hike photo's when I get back. That will be something to look forward to Sunday after the return drive.
Old May 13, 2004, 7:11 AM   #4

Nice shot Puck. Too many steps for me, is there a lift ?. :-)When you say crater do you mean an extinct volcano.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 9:21 AM   #5

I got pooped out just looking at those stairs. You composed your shot extremely well.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 9:26 AM   #6

Selvin, I just finished looking at your wonderful collection of Diamond Head photos. I burst out laughing at the t-shirt.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:00 AM   #7

ok....you've given me another reason to go to hawaii!!!

nice shot! good job!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:25 PM   #8

Puck,

A Hamvention? in Dayton Ohio.I know Dayton is proud of the fact that it has more patents per person than any other city in the US but a hamvention? Do they create hams? Just joking before the city fathers throw me out the next time I visit.

I actually spent few days there and even attended a wedding there. It's uncanny, I attend a wedding in Dayton and another one in, WVa supposedly not too far from Mechanicsville, VA talk about small world.

Barbara,

I agree, I have had people in supermarkets asking me about the shirt and one person even wanted to know if it was for sale.

Cheers

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 6:51 AM   #9

Puck:

Nice perspective, the shot almost draws you into a free fall. The hand rail must be the "big wave" for a skateboarder.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 5:40 PM   #10

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Puck,

A Hamvention? in Dayton Ohio.I know Dayton is proud of the fact that it has more patents per person than any other city in the US but a hamvention? Do they create hams? Just joking before the city fathers throw me out the next time I visit.
I just got back from Dayton and looked at your pictures of Diamond Head. VERY well done! The commentary makes the photos come alive and brings back memories of my trek up to the top. My tee shirt is different - not near as colorful. I'll have to do it again to get one like yours.

Hamvention = Amateur Radio Convention and flea market. About 15,000 to 20,000 "hams" come from all over the world to this three day event. There are literally acres of flea market spaces where folks tail gate their "junque"outside and thousands of display areas in the Hara Arena and connecting buildings where the commercial vendors and manufacturers show off their latest offerings. If anyone needs anything remotely connected to ham radio or computers it can be found at the Dayton Hamvention. The evenings are spent at various banquets and hospitality rooms renewing old acquaintances andimbibingthe spirits, for those so inclined. It's great to put a face on the voice or "fist" (morse code signal) of folks you have only met on the air.

Yes, there are hams created there too. They administer FCC exams to potential hams and quite a few newcomers enter the hobby at Dayton.