Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 27, 2004, 3:24 AM   #1

These are from our local shopping center:

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 4:11 AM   #2

Nice shot. :-)Do they do them with chips. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 8:15 AM   #3

This is a really nice photo, Selvin, that leads me to something I've observed again and again: people seem to see color very differently. I, for instance, see no red whatsoever in this picture. Orange and yellow, yes, but no red. My husband and I were talking about it this morning because heseems to havetrouble seeing color. We had a variety of red and orange objects on the table which we lined up. It turned out that he could actuallysee the differences, but where he stumbled was in the naming of those differences. What was blatantly orange to my eye was just a another variation of red to his. After discovering this, wedecided that maybe part of the problem lies in the training people have had. My degree is in the arts, and so, by necessity, I had to become extremely sensitive to and be able to describe the most minute variations in color. His education was in the sciences and in an area where color was hardly ever an issue, so to him, there's red, yellow, blue and thena lot of nameless variations in between.

When I think of red, I think of American Beauty roses and cherry lollipops; when my husband thinks of red, he'll think of them, too, but he'll also add bricks and rusty barrels, which are, in my vocabulary, orange.

Sorry to have used your post to go on and on like this, Selvin, but I sense you're good natured enough to put up with me.:-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

Nice picture. Orange to me is just another shade of red.

Those fish are for display in a pond, not for eating - Right? I was going to put a couple of Koi in my wife's little fish pond until I found out how much they cost. Instead I got some "feeder" goldfish for 10 cents each at the pet shop. After three years they have grown to be the size ofsmall Koi and look nice in her little pond.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 10:49 AM   #5

I view orange as being half red, therefore is red. As in my title, How Red IS Red? There's lot's of room with any specific color really, orange to pink are still all forms of Red.
Old May 27, 2004, 11:51 AM   #6

Puck,

Yes, Koi especially ones like these are someonewhat pricey even tho they are shopping center pond variety. Most of the value of these are probably come from their age rather than unque characteristics. These fellows have been around for some time. The unique fellows are the ones with stratospheric prices as in tens of thusands of dollars.

Barbara,

I think some of this maybe be gender based. Probably why I am condemned to the dog house when it comes to matching colors for my wardrobe. Generally, males either thru training or genes or combination of both simply don't view the world of colors the same way as females.

I could probably prattle on like this in psychobabble but I'll spare the folks.

Cheers and thanks for the comments.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 12:45 PM   #7

RGRotts wrote:
Quote:
I view orange as being half red, therefore is red. As in my title, How Red IS Red? There's lot's of room with any specific color really, orange to pink are still all forms of Red.
Well, not exactly, but to get into that, I'd first have to go through the tedious process of explaining how we coded color in my color & light course in college. Yup, that's right--an entire semester of nothing but the study of colored pigment and colored light. The most interesting thing to come out of that course was a very graphic demonstration of how people can actually "see" colored lightwhile blindfolded.
Old May 27, 2004, 2:04 PM   #8

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
people seem to see color very differently.
Quote:
This is very true. I don't have the problem with red, but with blue it's acute. I don't have any of the common colour-blindnesses, and can read all the diagnostic charts without difficulty. However, we often pass lakes and inlets and the family will say "gosh, what a wonderful blue", and I'll say "but it's black". When I take the picture, the film or CCD agree with them & not with me. I reckon I've got polarising eyes.
Quote:
Another , more pertinent, example is sodium vapour street lights, which are the monochromatic colour of the sodium D spectral line. Some people (like me) describe that colour as orange, because it's the colour of an orange, but many others say it's yellow.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 3:02 PM   #9

It's funny (sort of) how every single challenge is never quite how I envision it, and this is because each of us thinks differently and, as we're learning now, sees differently. Who's to say that what's blue to one person isn't violet to another? We can't possibly know because the person seeing violet has always called it blue.

Which brings up the next question: what would the other colors look like if we could only see them? Do x-rays have color? Radio waves?

Do bulls react to red, or are they actually seeing aquamarine?Or maybe it's just something fluttering in the breeze like I am at the moment.
Old May 27, 2004, 4:11 PM   #10

Don't get in too much of a stew over it. The history here is that we all periodically go wandering off on a tangent, eventually refinding our way. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes not, just the same as it is when a gang of friends gets together for a glass or two of wine.