Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 28, 2004, 1:34 PM   #1

I was getting ready to leave the studio last month when a dust storm blew in. It looked cool so I grabbed the camera and ran out to the parking lot. Here's what I got.

Just for reference, here's what the sky looked like 30 seconds before that, when the storm was still on its way in.

You can see the wall of dust at the front of the dust storm moving in. This phenomenon is called a 'haboob' which is really fun to say but it actually comes from an arabic word. Makes sense considering the sandy desert with lots of storms they have over there. We get them fairly often here in Mesa, Arizona. You know what's funny is when the local TV weather girl Liz Habeeb covers the haboob. Hehehe. By the way since this post is about red, that's my beautiful red Dodge Ram there in the bottom left corner.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 1:41 PM   #2

Nice one, nice weather you get there too. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 1:42 PM   #3

Very cool! Nice shot(s).
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4

Great shot! I'm amazed at how the red cars managed to stay red when everything was busily turning orange. I laughed out loud at the unfortunate Ms. Habeeb's difficulties with haboobs.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 2:04 PM   #5

I find that interesting, not just because of the phenomenon but because I have family friends who live in Arizona. They moved out there a few years ago.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 2:59 PM   #6

Very nice photo - and thanks for adding the "before" photo and the backgruond of the weather. I would never have known that.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 4:08 PM   #7

Very interesting shot. We don't get dust storms around here si I've never seen anything like that. You better change the air filter in that nice red Dodge Ram real often if you getdust to that extent.!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 6:04 PM   #8

Puck M wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting shot. We don't get dust storms around here si I've never seen anything like that. You better change the air filter in that nice red Dodge Ram real often if you getdust to that extent.!

Luckily I have a K&N air filter, which incidentally is red, that just needs a bit of cleaning every now and then.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote