Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 28, 2004, 7:43 PM   #1

Lets try this one out for size. Very scarey animals in my yard:

Attached Images

gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 11:04 PM   #2

After what you did to that poor squirrel you best keep one eye open when you sleep at night. He could be lurking under your bed waiting for his chance to get even.

Now don't tell me that is an un-doctored shot. I've never seen a squirrel that has eyes like that. :-)

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 2:59 AM   #3

Nice one, demon squirrell. We get them in our garden all the time but i haven't managed to catch one on camera yet. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 3:37 AM   #4

The closest I've got to the squirrel (sometimes two, rarely three) that enters our garden is a foot or two. I was sitting at the computer and he came up to a pot next to it, sat down and started burying nuts. I had my 35mm slr to hand and tried to take a picture from behind the glass, unfortunately the flash was on. I did have a polarizing filter on the lens though, so there is a bright white dot on the print, but not a big white exposure. I love squirrels.

Taking a picture of the squirrel with a flash could cause that eye. It's their version of red eye.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 6:58 AM   #5

Puck: I did not touch up the photo. Ferny is right about the flash. It was the flash that gave the eyes tht look.
Old May 29, 2004, 12:57 PM   #6

gmaker wrote:
Quote:
Puck: I did not touch up the photo. Ferny is right about the flash. It was the flash that gave the eyes tht look.
Very interesting! I've never flashed a squirrel. With the bright background I figured the pupils of the squirrel's eye would not be dialated and there'd belittle chance of red eye. Animal eyes are interesting in indoor or low light flash pictures. Our cats' eyes come out green or yellow. When they were kittens they were blue. The reflective coating in their eyes which aids their night vision makes for strange looking flash pictures.Also the red dot at the center of the squirrel eye was unexpected, at least to me.

The squirrels in my yard had better beware. I'm going on a hunt with my flash.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 1:29 PM   #7

Puck: it also works well with Chipmucks.
Old May 29, 2004, 3:01 PM   #8

I think you've captured the very soul of squirrels.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 3:15 PM   #9

Animals, cats and dogs for sure, have larger pupils to aide with their night vision. Human pupils are smaller. When we use red eye reduction on our cameras it creates a flash(es) to make our pupil step down before it fires the flash and takes a picture. Because the animal's is bigger and they can see better in the dark it doesn't step down as far with them, producing the red/green/blue. The same reason, I assume, they stay red/green/blue when your car headlights hit them instead of going black.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote