Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 29, 2004, 11:53 PM   #11

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
ferny, i think u did a fantastic job with the editted one, the bright white contrast really did bring out the red in thestrepsils, I see no fault in that. The original does look a bit dull and greyed out.
What he said!

I still don't know what strepsils are. I've never heard of or seen them before. Are they something like cough drops perhaps?
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 2:19 AM   #12

Here's the box.
Attached Images

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 6:12 PM   #13

The box says "antibacterial," which I assume means that they aren't an actual antibiotic, which then leads me to ask, what compound can be put into one of these little candies that's safe to swallow? Or are regulations about antibiotics less strict in England than they are in the U.S?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 6:41 PM   #14

Most excellent product shot! I'm glad you told us what they were. I would have never known!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 5:00 AM   #15

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
The box says "antibacterial," which I assume means that they aren't an actual antibiotic, which then leads me to ask, what compound can be put into one of these little candies that's safe to swallow? Or are regulations about antibiotics less strict in England than they are in the U.S?
They certainly aren't candy. They're a medicine.
The active ingredients are 2.4-Dichlorobenzly alcohol 1.2mg, Amylmetacresol B.P.0.6mg. What ever those are, I copied it straight from the box. They sooth and help combat a sore throat. They contain Menthol to. You wouldn't take them unless you needed to and (I think) they can only be bought from a chemist and not from a newsagents.
I don't know what the laws are here or in America, but another thing that you can buy to stop a sore throat from hurting is a spray which contains a local anaesthetic. It may contain something else to combat the sore throat to, but I don't know.

I'm sure anti-biotic and anti-bacterial are two different things altogether as well. But I'm no doctor.
Old May 31, 2004, 2:03 PM   #16

I'll bet they're the equivalent to some over-the-counter medicines we have here. As soon as you mentioned anesthetics, it reminded me of them. Probably the alcohol content works, too, just as long as you take them in volume. Reminds me of years ago when my son was teething and the pediatrician suggested rubbing Southern Comfort on the poor little guy's gums. It worked. Put him right to sleep.:-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 4:54 PM   #17

Ferny - great avatar!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:47 AM   #18

Thanks monkey. That is Pickles our dog at the very beginning of a sneeze. I was playing around with the camera and got lucky. The original picture has been titled "Gizmo". :-)
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:48 AM   #19

Pickles - what a cute name! Cute dog, too. Perfect capture! :-)