Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 30, 2004, 6:34 PM   #11

Great and funny picture, Puck!

Is that when Cooties came into existence--in the fifties? I don't remember them when I was a little kid, finding out about them onlyafter I was in my teens.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 7:51 PM   #12

Barbara:

They were a game in the 50's. I remember having a set just like the ones in Puck's picture. I was disapointed when I bought the new set because they were so different. The same is tru for Mr Potatoe Head. He has changed over time, but so have all of us.
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 2:31 PM   #13

I must be just enough older than you that I missed out on Cooties and Mr. Potato Head. All we had were Pick-Up Sticks, Tiddly Winks, and Lincoln Logs. Too bad Legos came later, too. I'd have loved them. My parents would have gotten them for my brother and I would have absconded with them.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:58 PM   #14

I have always wondered when watching American movies when they refer to catching "cooties" what in earth they were talking about?(for example John Travolta to Uma Therman in Pulp Fiction while sharing a milkshake - "Don't worry I don't have cooties"). I have always assumed it was a cold sore or something similar. I did ask a friend who is from Ohio & she told me that they were made up & just something kids imagine they catch from kissing.

Now I know - they are giant plastic bugs, you would think Uma Therman would be able to see that thing crawling up John Travoltanowdon't you?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:25 PM   #15

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"lol lol lol lol lollol lol lol lol!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i would think she would too!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"hey...i used to play with lincoln logs! those were the best! back in third grade! those were the days!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:04 AM   #16

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-coo2.htm

This link givesone view of the originof the word "cootie". I had also heard it originated in the trench warfare of WWIas a description for the body lice and other tiny bittinginsects that plagued the soldiers.

When I was a little kid in the late 40's and 50's cootieshad becomeimaginary bugs that little girlswouldgiveyou if they got too close to you.You certainly did not want yourfriends to know you had been close enough to a girl to get cooties!!!

This phasein little boys' livesended quickly when as preteens and teenagers wediscovered girls were starting to look real good and it was time to persue them rather than run from them - Cooties be damned!

The "Cootie" game which originated in 1949capitalized on the school yard "cootielore" and made building onea kid's game.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:34 AM   #17

Only once was I around my nephews when they were in their cootie stage- thank heavens! Hearing "Aunt Betsy has cooties!" from little boys whose diapers you helped change and still try really hard to shop for, for specialoccasions; who would petyour leg and say "pretty"andfight over who got to sit nextto her at Thanksgiving,really isn't pleasant!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:00 PM   #18

From an encyclopedia of word and phrase origins: cooties - body lice, derives from the Malayan-Polynesian kutu, "louse," which British sailors became familiar with (both word and nit) in the early years of 1900.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:52 PM   #19

We don't have cooties here, we have the lurgy.

*Tags jackrussell and runs off shouting "Yuk! jackrussell's got the lurgy!"*
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote