Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:05 PM   #21

ok.....lol....

this is a very nice shot, composition, exposure, color-wise, but....the rose doesn't seem very sharp....looking at where the keys are sharp it looks like it is focused just a bit short of the rose....

now unless disco is lying, and this isn't a fake flower (doesn't look fake!!) that i would think you'd be able to take this again....and "focus" on making the flower sharp.....haha....pun intended....if you want some keys in focus too...which i'd suggest, you should make the arperture smaller too.....and in turn that will use a longer shutter...which you know wat that means! haha...you can't play while taking the picture! haha....

well.....hope this helps!

well set up picture! nice reflections....just focus on the focus! lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:21 PM   #22

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
this is a very nice shot, composition, exposure, color-wise, but....the rose doesn't seem very sharp....looking at where the keys are sharp it looks like it is focused just a bit short of the rose....
It's interesting to see how different people focus in (no pun intended) on diverse things when they critique something. You looked at this image and thought "great composition, but the rose needs to have sharper focus" and that is fine. I looked at this image and felt that the softness of the subject suited this particular composition to a tee.

Now, I'd like to know if Jenni was intentionally going for the softness, or not? :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:58 PM   #23

that's true....that's wat makes life more interesting.....how boring the world would be if everyone liked the same thing!

yeah jenni....spill!!

did you make it soft on purpose? if you did...then completely ignore my post....lol...well...don't ignore it...but don't reject that picture because of it...maybe even take my advice and take that picture...then you can please both groups! (i might be the only one in the one group..but hey...)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:32 AM   #24

It makes in more romantic. A man sitting down to play the piano for his wife after just handing her a rose and telling her how much he loves her.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:17 PM   #25

Wowza looks like I'm needed here! Lol.

Hey, thanks Geoff! I've never heard of that musician, but I think I'll take a look at her! If shes based in Minneapolis, then she's close by!

And to the others, to tell ya the truth, I was aiming for a softer subject when I took this picture. We dimmed the lights and used a soft flashlight for artificial lighting, aimed at the rose. We took bunches of these photos, some more focused than others. And when I looked through them, this picture caught my eye because of its aspired romance. For me, when I think of a rose laying on a piano, I think of a soft romance.

But I think I will try some more focused approaches! I mean, there's nothing wrong with experimenting with different approaches! And since it isfake, I can always retake pictures, if Ames will have me over again! Thanks Vito for the tidbits of advice! I'm sure gonna use them!

And thanks all for your comments!

Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:24 PM   #26

Oh Ferny, that would be a dream! Lol! I think everyone woman on this board wishes for that! ((hint to all you guys!))
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:27 PM   #27

Jenni wrote:
Quote:
Oh Ferny, that would be a dream! Lol! I think everyone woman on this board wishes for that! ((hint to all you guys!))
Nah. I'd rather have a polarizing filter.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:56 PM   #28

Jen... no you may never ome over to my house to approach the focus differnetly again! Never again!!

LOL barb! I was just thinking... I would rahter have the rose and paino.. but with Smee... and a guitar... and a big smooch...
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:56 PM   #29

Oh Ames! You'd settle with just Smee! Haha, I can see you now, you will be a band groupie when you're older. For sure. Lol.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:29 PM   #30

Jenni wrote:
Quote:
Hey, thanks Geoff! I've never heard of that musician, but I think I'll take a look at her! If shes based in Minneapolis, then she's close by!

And to the others, to tell ya the truth, I was aiming for a softer subject when I took this picture.
Check Lorie Line out, Jenni - I've gone to see her in concert twice while she toured through Portland, Oregon and she is really good!

And... I had a feeling that you were deliberately going for the "soft" look in your shot :-) It goes hand in hand with the romantic theme of your composition.

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote