Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

Hi - I'm new to Steve's forums (but a longtime visitor to Steve's very informative site) and I think I'll start off here by posting this macro shot of dew collected on the petals of a red rose in my backyard:

Picture was cropped and a touch of USM applied in PSE2.

Geoff Shapiro

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:57 PM   #2

Wowza, thats a gorgeous one! You've got some talent and you use it well! Great shot, the dew adds an almost innocent touch to the flower which I love!

And welcome to the boards!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind words, Jenni. I think I have some innate photographic talents (my dad composed great shots with his old Rolliflex and heredity must count for something) but I've never developed it into anything more than a hobby. A professional I am not :-(

And, yes, I thought the dew is what made an otherwise ordinary, yet again, rose picture into something more.

(I just ordered a Canon i9900 - think this one might look nice printed out on that baby in large format?)

Regards,
Geoff
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:35 PM   #4

WOWZAH! That's flippin amazin! It's so sharp, and is that dew real or did you use a spritzer? That's so good! One of the things that you love to find in nature, but seem to never have a camera when the opportunity comes along. Luckily you did! Thats'a an amazing picture! It would be a wonderful background to your desktop! You've got pure t-a-l-e-n-t, my friend!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:46 PM   #5

Discodudette, you are just toooo kind! All of those superlatives are making me blush and I don't think that I deserve them :-(

Those dewdrops are the real thing - no spritzer involved at all. I'm much too lazy to setup a shot so methodically :-)

The sharpness of the important parts of the photo are a tribute to my new camera, an Olympus c8080wz. It's a lot of camera compared to the Canon G2 I used previously (and which my son is now the proud owner of). I'm only in the "getting used to it" stage and I have a lot of learning ahead of me. Believe me when I say that I've generated loads more bad shots than anything I'd want to archive.

Thanks,
Geoff
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:35 AM   #6

I have a "thing" for water droplets. So you know how I feel about this.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:56 AM   #7

Nice shot, extreme close up. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:38 AM   #8

Stunning! This really is nice. Glad you posted - do stick around! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:09 AM   #9

An excellent job! The only thing I'd suggest is to use a lighter hand with sharpening, particularly in a photo such as this where there's natural high contrast (dew's white reflections against red). It's even possible that it requires no sharpening at all!

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:46 PM   #10

Thanks to ferny, jackrussell, monkey143, and bcoultryfor the words of encouragement - much appreciated.

Also, Barbara, here is a portion of the original picture without any USM applied to it:

It's a bit soft, don't you think? The picture I originally posted had USM applied as 100%/1.0radius which is a fairly minimal application of USM, isn't it? If I'd had a tripod setup the original phto would have been much sharper, but the picture was taken handheld and I am just not that steady like that.

Speaking of tripods: I have a Bogen /Manfrotto 3036 and I don't have a head for it (it was originally used with a binocular parallelogram mount for astronomy). Anyone with any advice on what I should get as the head for general use? Or should I post this as a new topic in one of the other groups?

Geoff