Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:45 AM   #1

OK, one more. This is not a very good shot, but have you ever tried to take pictures of performers on stage in a dark theater with the only illumination a spotlight on the performers and no flash allowed? Add to the mix a 1megapixel fully automatic point and shoot digicam with a 3x optical zoom (Epson 750Z). It's good it had that zoom as I was 15 rows back! The cameraalsohad +/- EV adjustment availble which made the shot possible. Using the normal average exposure metering in the camera the details of the performers werehighly overexposed by the strong spot light so I used -2 EV compensation and was able to get something at least. I did let PSP8 work it's magic with its one step photo fix and I cropped it a bit.I also downsized it for display here.

Daughter Cathy on stage - Celebrity Cruise Lines - July 2003
Attached Images

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:25 AM   #2

Nice one Puck, that must be a great job working on cruise ships. :-)You did a better job than my wife did when she tried shooting in a theatre. They came out nearly black but she got a couple of decent ones after the show in better lighting. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3

All things considered, you did an excellent job. I like the composition, too.

What, exactly, does your daughter do? Sing, dance, both? More than that?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:57 PM   #4

Puck,

Been in similar situations. Great efort and nice results.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:15 PM   #5

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
What, exactly, does your daughter do? Sing, dance, both? More than that?
She has a B.S. in vocal performance from Va Commonwealth U. Since college she has appearedin a number of musicalsat small theaters around the U.S. plus perfomed on 6 or 7 different cruise ships. She can sing anything from Opera to Broadway to POP to Country. She also dances and plays piano. These last 8 years havebeen nice forthe wife and I as we've had the chance to travel around the world following her.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:46 PM   #6

Puck, you must be so proud of your daughter. I think we find more pleasure in the success of our children than we do in our own success.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7

Nice shot, Puck. After reading your comments on your shooting problems I would like to offer some suggestions.

When shooting a night or dark scene with automatic metering, the camera will always try to resolve the exposure to a 18% gray level. This means it will increase the exposure to lighten the image. On the other end of the scale, if you are shooting a mostly white or very bright scene like snow in auto, the camera will reduce the exposure to 18% gray and thus darken the image.

Shooting with manual eliminates the problem but most non-SLR digital camras don't allow enough control over aperture and shutter-speed settings to allow adequate control. You did the right thing by using negative exposure compensation. In the opposite lighting (bright lighting) you would have to use positive compensation.

And, as Forest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that!"
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the lesson. I had forgotten the "whys" which you nicely described.I had figuredit out but even so I still had to think about it every time the situations came up. Finally I justequated in my mindthat black = minus and white = plus. This crutch helps me keep it straight.

Puck
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:19 PM   #9

Very nicely done, PuckM in spite of the challenging conditions and modest camera.

You want to try a lil PhotoShop 8 trick of:

Effects | Noise | Edge Preserving Smooth with setting of 2-3

I know how you just LOVE PSP8!!!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote