Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:22 PM   #1

Original.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:25 PM   #2

Nice shot ferny. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:08 PM   #3

This is nice. Looks like an interesting drink. Looks like Pickles already sampled it. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:55 PM   #4

What is that background? It really goes well with the drink. And that foil covering on the drink - is that something you buy like that? I've never seen anything like it.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

Thank you. I thought it was terrible so I've re-done it.

It isn't a computer mock up, it is a real reflection. I originally wanted to have a light bellow it shining up. I've been scouting the shops for an LED torch but can't find one. If anyone knows what type of shop sells them (I've tried the DIY stores) or if you think there is something better for the job then please feel free to tell me. I did try it with a small torch that I have and it looked nice, but the problem of how to shine it from bellow and keep a clean black background arose. I originally wanted a reflection of it which would involve drilling a hole in a mirror to let the light through from underneath. In the process of finding a solution I cracked a bonsai pot in a vice (don't ask) and lost the touch and vodka twist numerous times. The best idea for this I had, was to use the hardwood garden table with has slats along it, shining the light up from underneath. So I folded up the table, struggling to get it through the narrow doors and into the garage. It was the only place which was dark. After some more fiddling and balls ups I took the pictures (with a light bulb underneath, why didn't I think of that before?). They came out ok...ish.

Aha! Another idea. Sit the drink on a mirror and take the picture from above. But that would show a reflection of the roof joists. In steps the membrane you use in your garden to stop weeds from growing in your flower beds and the small clothes drier hanging from the ceiling by a system of pulleys, which get stuck often, and did. The light patches in the mottled background are light from outside shining through a small door. In the end I managed to get some nice pictures (which I've touched up in PSP8 ).

The only things left to do after taking the pictures were to take the table outside, pack up the tools and get up a ladder to fix the pulleys in stagnant 30 degree heat whilst dripping with sweat.
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:35 PM   #6

the experience i've had with still life, you want COMPLETE control over everything....which means....pitch black, with a couple of lights pointing from strategic spots....that would solve the roof rafter problem....shining a couple of lights from the side of the drink....

nice shot! i could've sworn this was a photoshop thing! well done!

i'd suggest shooting vertical though...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:22 PM   #7

Elegant, Ferny!

Your avatar does throw me off though...I always think it is gonna take a chunk otta me!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:42 PM   #8

In spite of all your troubles, you did a great job!

Vito's right about using a dark--or at least a dim--room for doing still lifes. It's not, however, true all the time. Outdoor light coming in through a window can set things off beautifully, too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:31 PM   #9

I must say I really would like to try that vodka shot, looks quite delicious.

By the bylooks like a very nice car in your garage, is it an MGB roadster? Are you enjoying not paying road tax anymore?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:59 AM   #10

You're right about the angle, it's a bit too symmetrical. The reason for that is that the mirror has a thick wooden frame. Taking it from a different angle would bring that into view. Think about it now, I can drape the membrane over it to hide it. I'll give it another go later.

I wanted the light from behind though, without it it looked completely different. It was lit by a small window to the left, an open door of the right (letting in roughly the same amount of light), a small door being opened behind and lots of florescent lights which are on the ceiling.

I haven't tried the vodka. Which means I can re-take the pictures from a different angle. I'm not a lover of vodka I'm more of a bitter, ale and Baileys person. I hate lager.

monkey143 - the foil is its lid. It's only a small drink, roughly two inches high. You rip the top off and pour it down your throat.

digcamfan - don't worry about Pickles, she wouldn't hurt you.

Ziggy - it's a Triumph TR6 and not mine. It is pre-tax though.