Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:43 PM   #21

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
selvin wrote:
Quote:
Good food including the belly dancers (male and female).
Selvin, I must have read your reply several times but I only just noticed that you wrote about both male and female belly dancers!

The restaurant where this picture was taken had belly dancers, but only female ones. Now, I don't consider myself to be sexist (I am probably a victim of my upbringing), but I think that the image of male belly dancers could make me choke on the dinner
actually Geoff's, what happens is, when the female belly dancers are "dancing" then the women can concentrate on the food while we stare. whe the males belly dancers start their "dancing" then its time for us to eat or run to the bathroom and washour hands and wait till its over :lol: .

actually, i've never tried morrocon food but as for the eating with the hands part, where i come from we do it all the time, no biggie.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:50 PM   #22

Berto, it sounds like you've got the right attitude about "male" belly dancers. I really must learn to be more opportunistic in my thinking... :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:15 PM   #23

OMGAH BERTO YOU LIVE IN GUAM?!?!?

THATS AWESOME! My friend andI started a Guam fanclub where a stick is our team mascott and it's painted hot pink and hot green. Someone boke it.. and he felt our wrath. Anyhoo... thast awesome... you live in guam.. wow...
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:24 PM   #24

Geoff S You're right - Jeremiah. Sorry - I'm studying Ezekiel right now. My nephew's name is Josh. He's not a dog. My real name is Elizabeth (I know, you thought it was Monkey143). My mom (Sarah but I'll call her Sarai because it's more appropriate) likes Biblical names, also.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:32 PM   #25

You can add me to the group of Old Testament name lovers. It's one of the reasons my son's name is Benjamin, the other being that he would be called Ben, which is both very masculine and also happens to mean "son."
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:17 PM   #26

That's a wonderful name. I had heard it means, "favored son." I'll have to look up the reference - Genesis 35:18. Oh, here it is, cut and pasted from the Internet (referencing Israel [Jacob, the father of Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat] and Rachel):

"[suP]18[/suP] As she breathed her last-for she was dying-she named her son Ben-Oni. [suP][1][/suP] But his father named him Benjamin. [suP][2][/suP] "

1. 35:18 Ben-Oni means son of my trouble . [/*]
  2. 35:18 Benjamin means son of my right hand .
    [/*]
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:34 PM   #27

Yes, "son of the right hand," and Ben is the part that means "son." Hence, all those names in Israel that begin with Ben. In the Arab world it's "Bin,"whichhas anunfortunate association these days.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:36 AM   #28

I love word origins. Joshua was son of Nun. Son of was Bar, right? (Barabbas means son of the father, Abba meaning Father). So it was Joshua BarNun. Do you suppose that's where we get our "bar none" expression? Meanings are totally different but still I wonder about words.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:58 AM   #29

Barbara - Benjamin is a great name, one which your son will never regret being tagged with.

Elizabeth - seeing as you love to explore the origins of names, did you know that your name's meaning and origin is:

Elizabeth: From the Hebrew Eliyshebha, which St. Jerome translates "oath of my God"; Simonis, "oath of God"; Tregelles, "to whom God is the oath, who swears by God," i.e., worshipper of God; and Jones, "God of the seventh oath of my God, of God is her oath"; from El "God," shebha, "seven"; also an oath. Danish, Elisabeth; Dutch, Elizabeth; French, Elisabeth; German, Elisabeth; Italian, Elisabetta; Latin, Elizabetha; Spanish, Isabel.
Mine (Geoffrey), on the other hand has this derivation:

Geoffrey, or Geffrey: Sometimes translated "God's peace or joyful peace." The name has been corrupted from Galfrid for Walfrid; from Old German walt-frid, "powerful protector." Danish, Galfred; Dutch, Godfried; French, Geoffrey; Italian, Gioffreddo; Latin, Galfridus.
However, the real truth, as my parents always told me it, was that I was named Geoffrey because my mom wanted to call me Jeffrey and my father wanted to call me George, so they compromised :-) Because of my non-American spelling of Jeffrey, I have been called things like Godfrey, Gregory, gee-off, goffrey, etc over the years...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:30 AM   #30

I've always liked the spelling of Geoff over Jeff. I was named Elizabeth because I couldn't be called Matthew when I came out looking all girlie.:-)

Thanks for the name origins. I knew what my name meant but not to that extent. Beth, even tho it's a nickname of Elizabeth, is a totally different meaning, since it was Beth, not "bat or bath" as some forms of Elizabeth are. And we all know the jot and tittle can totally change the meanings! :-)I knew "seven" is the number of completeness or divinity, but I did NOT know that was in my name. I knew El was God (El Shaddai). Loosely translated, then into English, wouldn't it be "God's complete oath" or "divine promise of God?"

Thanks for the discourse this morning, Geoff!