Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:06 PM   #1

I took this at a Moroccan restaurant. Everyone sits on pads around a low circular table. The food is served on round plates in the center of the table and everyone eats with their fingers!

(I hope nobody is grossed out...)

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:23 AM   #2

I ate a local Morrocan restaurant once and you're right if you're not open minded it can freak you out. We had our meal at a huge copper table crafted to look like a large circular plate. Good food including the belly dancers (male and female).

No utensils other than hands fortunately they have a handwashng ceremony before meal.

You've captured the essence. Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:45 AM   #3

Nice one, like selvin said handwashing would be a good idea. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:54 AM   #4

The only freaky thing is that everyone else has got their hands on the food and you're more interested in taking a picture.:lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:17 AM   #5

This photo fascinates me. It's enough of a close-up that I can imagine myself right there and in the moment. And I'll tell you this, handwashing ceremony or not, I'd rather photograph it than take part in it. The human mouth is notoriously filthy, and each time a person puts food to mouth, those hands go inside the mouth. On the other hand, close family diners are a different story. We're always sharing family germs, so what the heck?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:49 AM   #6

This was both family and friends so it wasn't all "germs in the family". Yuk. At least there was an elaborate handwashing ceremony in which the waiter poured water over each person's hands over a bowl, and each person had a separate towel to dry off with.

Being the party pooper I am, I asked for a fork :-) The waiter said that he'd go and get one. Guess what? The whole meal was served and we were done and I never did get that fork! I just grinned and beared it. It seemed like the restaurant "natives" were enjoying watching us westerners squirm...
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:53 AM   #7

Do you suppose Westerners have become too germ-conscious? I just wandered off mentally, thinking about survival of the fittest, thinking about how, in a way, we weaken the stock by avoiding contamination.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:02 AM   #8

Yes, I think so. If you avoid too many germs your body will never become immune to them. Think of how bad a child is when he gets chicken pox and then the consequences of getting it as an adult. When the local kids gets them you send your loved one around to play don't you?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of dirt now and again. "You've got to eat a bit of dirt before you die".
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:23 AM   #9

ferny wrote:
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a bit of dirt now and again. "You've got to eat a bit of dirt before you die".
If that's the case, then my beloved pet dog, Micah, is in a very good position indeed (he loves to eat dirt):

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:44 AM   #10

Micah has the right idea. I won't tell you what my dog eats... I, myself, don't use silverware either. :-)Just kidding. Unless it's pizza or a stir fry with chop sticks. Nice photo, anyway - I really like it. It has tons of character.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote