Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:14 PM   #1

Here are 3 shots in which I was experimenting with holes. The actual subject was the base of an ashtray in an outdoor sitting area:!:

In this first shot I kept the foreground in focus, background out of focus, and angled things so that the holes in the back of the base were offset from the front holes:

My second attempt was same as the first except I made sure the rear holes were aligned with the holes in the front:

Finally, I put the foreground out of focus, the background in focus:

Of the three pictures, I like 1 and 2 most, perhaps favoring 2 over 1. But... what do the experts think? :-)

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:40 PM   #2

Wow these are very creative shots! I'm actually tied up between 1 and 3, but I think 1 does it for me because of all the crazy colors!

It's weird, because with the background out of line with the foreground, my eyes are more attracted to the foreground. In 2, my eyes are more attracted to the background.
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:58 PM   #3

Jenni, that was a pretty good observation about how the alignment of the background holes changes what your eyes focus in on in the picture. I hadn't picked up on that until you noticed it. Very good!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:25 AM   #4

Nice one, Ilike number 3. The colours behind itwhich may be grass, paving and a wall look a bit like the Italian flag. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:42 AM   #5

I prefer number one by a mile and they're all good. You're never going to line them up exactly and I think in trying to do so you've made it more obvious. In the first one I see the in-focus area and then the background with a pattern. It is much more pleasing to my eye.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:03 AM   #6

Ditto to what Ferny just said.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:54 AM   #7

I see what you are saying ferny. Since I couldn't possibly get a perfect alignment of front and back holes, I might as well not try to. Instead, go with the flow and make the misalignment part of what makes the photo interesting. Very good - I agree with that!

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:04 AM   #8

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
Nice one, Ilike number 3. The colours behind itwhich may be grass, paving and a wall look a bit like the Italian flag. :-)
The Italian flag? Since I don't know my flags of the world, I went online to a flags database (http://www.flags.net/graham.htm), found the Italian flag, and except for the fact that the stripes are vertical on the flag, you're right! It never would have even crossed my mind... :-)
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:09 AM   #9

I like all the shots but being the purist that I am, sometimes, these pictures do not satisfy the challenge. They are neither circles nor ovals in the true mathematical sense. They are diamonds with straight sides and rounded corners. I still like them.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:31 AM   #10

Hi, calr! That is very purist, indeed. To my eye, they resembled the shape of a person's eyes which I would normally describe as oval and not diamond shaped. However, one could easily alter perspective just a teensy bit and come out with an evaluation of these being diamond-shaped holes, as you did.

But... I know you're not really as purist as your words would seem to imply, since your entry pictured a semi-circle rather than a full circle (btw - I liked that picture)