Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:54 PM   #1

This is a mosaic fountainon display at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago. It was taken last winter and I submit it here for it's sheer quantity of circles. This post is a little disappointing because the resizing washes out the details. I intend to pursue a new imageto postlater in this challenge. I have a couple close ups if anyone would like to see one of them also.

Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:33 AM   #2

Rob,

Very intereesting cistern.

I tried the following crop to see if it added pizazz:

Attached Images

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:46 AM   #3

Nice shot. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:24 AM   #4

Sel, Maybe I should have considered moving the sign to the right to get rid of it and enable cropping the whole thing into the shot......thanks, Bob

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5

What an amazing mozaic. Can any of us imagine putting such a thing together piece by piece?

Make sure your photo is in the sRGB color space, which is better for the Internet. Also, increase color saturation before saving it as a JPEG. Sometimes I spend five minutes or more fiddling with both color cast and saturation, going back and forth, checking to see how it looks when compressed, fiddling and fiddling and fiddling until I can get it close to the original. It's never exact, however.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:45 AM   #6

On this one I increased Contrast a bit and decreased Brightness. The colors come out more realistic except for the center (from the yellow dominant ring inward). Will Photoshop allow me to select a section to adjust, vs how Dig Image Pro only allows changes to the whole image?

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Will Photoshop allow me to select a section to adjust, vs how Dig Image Pro only allows changes to the whole image?
Yup!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:57 AM   #8

I don't like these sorts of things in general. I don't mean the photograph, I'm talking these type of objects. You'd be hard-pressed not to admire the craftsmanship though.

As for the Photoshop thing. I would suggest making two layers. Get one right in the centre and one right around the edge and delete parts until it is all correct. But I've never taken a course or read a book on editing. There is probably an easier way. :-)

edit - I shouldn't leave reply pages open and sitting idle for a long time before I decide to type. When I clicked on reply bcoultry hadn't posted.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I shouldn't leave reply pages open and sitting idle for a long time
I do it all the time. Phone calls, emergency trips to the refrigerator, unexpected daydreaming--all these things account for my seeming to be online much longer than I actually am. And yes, I then go on at length about something after someone else has already explained it.:sad:
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:09 AM   #10

I think it's awesome. Wow. I could never ever ever have the patience to do that myself... uff-da!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote