Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:20 AM   #11

very good shot, I cant seem to get one of the moon.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:43 AM   #12

Puck M wrote:
Quote:
I'll also have to look into getting the proper adapters to hang the digicam off that telescope. Thanks for posting this. It's started the wheels turning.
Puck, this site might have the hardware you are looking for:

www.scopetronix.com
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:16 PM   #13

Puck,

As Barbara said, the amount of light necessary (f-stop) is always less than it seems.

I will also try this without digital zoom to see what happens.

Incidentally, the Olympus 730UZ does not have image stabilization. The Xif values can be found at:

http://www.pbase.com/image/29667754

Cheers.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:44 PM   #14

Great moon shot!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:40 AM   #15
blr

Just to add my 0.02 Euro. As evrybody have said the moon requires surprisingly short exposure times. In astrophotography, there is a rulle that reads that the exposure should be the same as for the bright sunny day (around 1/125s f11 @ISO100), which makes sense since the moon is in fact bright sunlit and its surface is actually more reflective than the Earths. Heavy bracketing is usually the only way to achieve a good shot. I've taken many moonshots through my telescope It is always nice.

Another hint: Try to take moonshots when the moon is not full. You'll see a lot of craters close to the terminator (the border between the lit and the dark side that is).
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:55 AM   #16

Blr, thanks so much for the tips! It leads to this question, though: f/11 is my smallest aperture, and my camera jumps from ISO 80 to 160. I assume I can leave it at 80 and adjust for this with exposure compensation--increasing it, perhaps, but I'm not technically minded and so don't know where to start with it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:01 AM   #17

Barbara,

Even at 1/1000sec, f8 and ISO 100 I was able to get that much definition. BLR's advice re thinking of it as a well lit object is wise.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:07 AM   #18
blr

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
Blr, thanks so much for the tips! It leads to this question, though: f/11 is my smallest aperture, and my camera jumps from ISO 80 to 160. I assume I can leave it at 80 and adjust for this with exposure compensation--increasing it, perhaps, but I'm not technically minded and so don't know where to start with it.
Or you can start at 1/250, f8 @ ISO 80, which is the same as 1/125, f11 in terms of amount of light reaching the sensor. ISO80 is about 1/3 stop slower than ISO100 which should not matter much. In any case bracket at least +/- 1 stop, say 1/250 f5,6; f8; f11 and pick the best shot. You can do it with auto bracketing or simply by changing aperture in manual exposure mode.

If interesting I can post some moonshots at higher magnification, I didn't want to do it just because it was already done and done well.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:44 PM   #19

Thank you. I've managed to get some moon shots, but I was flying by the seat of my pants, which means I couldn't reproduce them with any amount of certainty. You've given me a base to use, which I just wrote down because very little sticks in my head unless I write it, then do it ten times.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote