Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:59 AM   #1

June 1, 2004 full moon over Hawaiii:

This was taken at full zoom 10x optical plus 3x digital, handheld with an Olympus 730UZ

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:49 AM   #2

Nice one selvin. I wouldn't mind having a go at that but i only have 3x zoom. I'm hoping to get a 10x in the future and this will probably the first shot i attempt.:-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

Wonderful, Selvin! Moonshots are far more difficult than a person might suppose, calling for less exposure in a situation (the dark) that seems to call for an increasein exposure.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:18 AM   #4

Mark, Barbara,

Thanks for your comments.

And Barbara yes, lest anyone think I just went out and took this photo one night, rest assured this was one of the best of about 20 with many variations on exposure and f-stop. I have tried several times over the last two years and this is the best so far. Still room for improvement.

Again, mahalo
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:38 AM   #5

Selvin, you and me both. I'm still trying to geta picture of the moon that I envision in my head. Getting closer, but I almost think it would be easier to take a photo of my imagination.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:44 AM   #6

I'll never get anywhere close to that with my digi. I get bright yellow blobs. And if I'm hand-holding, bright yellow eggs. :-)
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:33 AM   #7

Selvin, good shot, especially handheld! The only thing that I might do different is to forget the digital zoom in the camera - you can see the effect of it in the photo. Instead, use your imaging program to enlarge the optically zoomed image from the camera. The camera's inplace algorithm for doing digital zoom is not usually very good.

Ferny: The reason you just get a bright blob is because, as Barbara mentioned, the exposure you must take on a full moon is much less than you would imagine given the fact that you are taking a picture at night. A shot exposed at 1/25 or 1/50 of a second at f/8 does it on my camera at ISO 50! You'll also need at least 5x zoom to get anything large enough to make it at all worthwhile. Here'a really good site talking about the technical aspects of getting good moon shots:

http://dpfwiw.com/moon.htm
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:36 PM   #8

Geoffs,

Thanks for the commnets an advice.

I may be out there again at the next full moon.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:42 PM   #9

Great shot selvin, I have also tried- and failed, to capture a decent moon shot.

Kudos!
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:30 AM   #10

Nice shot. I can't believe you hand held the camera. Either your image stabilization works well or you are as steady as a rock or both!

You have inspired me to try one but I'll have to use a tripod. I've taken moon and planet shots before but used a 1200mm lens (B&L Telescope) and a 35 MM camera. I had not thought about trying the Z1 by itself.

I'll also have to look into getting the proper adapters to hang the digicam off that telescope. Thanks for posting this. It's started the wheels turning.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote