Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:09 PM   #11

Hmmm, I guess I missed this posting when originally posted. Late to the party, but nevertheless my two cents are that I like the composition and what seemed to add to it for me was the delicate shadow of the plate on the table.

Besides, given my own posting of "Dinner Circle", I'd say that I'm rather partial to pictures of dinner plates with seemingly disattached arms and hands milling around the plate :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I'd say that I'm rather partial to pictures of dinner plates with seemingly disattached arms and hands milling around the plate
Food is a symbol, and in many cultures, it's a very strong one. The tradition of offering food to a guest isn't just a polite gesture. Sharing food represents sharing a part of yourself.

This reminds me of a big discussion a gang of us had one day while eating at a large round table in the college dorm's cafeteria. Just by chance, we represented different cultures and ethnicities, and we got talking about guests in the home. All I can remember from it was that the Jews offered food while Irish Catholics offered drink. We discussed this for a long time, never quite understanding the difference.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:18 PM   #13

I like this photo also. How long did he sit there while you got the camera and took the picture . It looks natural adding a lot more contrast would make it look more like an artwork less like a photo although that is good also. I see a glad to make her child happy and full .
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:10 PM   #14

Thanks, Blaine. I'm still dithering on how much of what to add to this picture. In the end, I'll likely just deepen the shadows slightly.

Ah, my child. He's actually a young man who's turning 26 in less than a week. He lives elsewhere but has this thing for my refrigerator.Most people tighten up in front of the camera, but he'snot in the least self-conscious and will happily pose in any way that I ask of him. I lure him with the refrigerator, he pays by sitting still for my camera.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote