Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:09 AM   #41

Odd, the way folks align themselves on either the dog side or the cat side. I used to dislike dogs because they had no pride and because they tended to smell bad. My choice was cats because they smelled sweet, insisted I respect them, and because they were always nice to me if I was nice to them. These days, and after knowing some outstanding dogs, I've added them to my forever growing list of animals it's nice to have around. It takes meeting an animal on its ground, not our own, to gain an appreciation of it. However, I draw the line at tarantulas.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:25 PM   #42

I love pickles and dogs, too. I eat them right out of the jar (the pickles). My wok is pretty large, tho, already. And I do love cats. Totally. They're my favorite out of dogs, cats, and pickles.

What, Barbara, you can't climb into a banana tree to get on the tarantulas' turf?!?!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:50 PM   #43

Spiders are icky (scientific term).

--Barbara Coultry
Olympus E-20N, FL-40, M-CON-35, TCON-300, Epson 1270
http://home.nycap.rr.com/coultry/pages/index.htm

(Got me a signature thanks to ShortKeys Lite program!)
Old Jun 20, 2004, 2:43 AM   #44

True, dogs can smell bad. But cats can be worse. They don't clean their teeth giving themselves breath which could strip wallpaper at 100 paces then cover themselves with their saliva when they wash.

If you'd have met our last dog I guess you wouldn't like them at all them. He was a stray who followed me home one day. We called the dog warden round and she said that if it was the dog she recognised he was abused and was always escaping. She couldn't have been in any hurry to move him back to what may have been his real owners because we never got a phone call. He was thought to be 18 months old and I named him Scruffy. He was great, full of energy and playful. Then after a month or so he turned a bit nasty. He used to hide between two chairs and go to sleep. Me being young used to fall off of the chairs and onto the floor when playing. I must have startled him because he bit me. And that was the story from then on. It got to the point where he'd bitten me so often that my mum was telling me he would have to be destroyed. I always said that he couldn't be though. I looked at is as me sentencing someone to death. In his later years he used to growl at me if I entered the room. It could have been because he was abused by a man when he was little of because he took some of my boisterous playing as abuse. My mum could do anything to him, pick him up, play with him, the lot. If he grumbled she put him in his place. If I wanted to give him a bath I had to muzzle him because I was afraid. When a hedgehog entered the garden at night he used to find them and tare them to shreds. He didn't even winces when he got the spines stuck in his mouth. At the end of his life he suffered from fits. The vet said it could be a tumour, epilepsy or something wrong with his brain. Tests would need to be run (at great financial cost). He got them irregularly and not often enough to run the tests. If they got worse then they would have been. Three months went by and no fits. On his last day he had two in the morning and he messed himself for the first time during them. It was also the first time I'd ever seen him have a fit. He had two more in the evening which were far worse. It took him a long time to come to and be able to walk. We couldn't let him carry on so took him to the vet. He said he thought he had a few more fits to come that evening so the decision was made to put him to sleep and I stood in the room with my mum as he did it. Between the two sets of fits he'd had that day he wouldn't leave my side. I could cuddle him, stroke him the lot. He was back to the old Scruffy.

Despite what he was like I still loved him and he had his nice moment with me. He was a complete shock from the dog we'd had before him and had when he first arrived. She was called Scampy and was as dopey as anything. I think Scruffy has shown me what can happen if you're not fully committed to someone and I'm determined to not let Pickles turn out anything like him. It looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth in this picture doesn't it? :lol: It was taken with a cheap disposable camera (see, I brought this post back to photography :-) )
Attached Images

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:04 AM   #45

That really is a touching story. I'm glad you shared it. The old Scruffy was there all along. Maybe he lashed at you during his life because he needed to lash, and felt he could with you, because you were his closest friend. People are that way, and animals can be incredibly people-like.

I need to ask your age - don't tell if you don't want to - but you were a young boy with Scruffy, and he was your last dog. You have to still be young - younger than I imagined.

I'm glad you took care of Scruffy so he didn't need to keep returning to abuse. And I'm glad Pickles looks as spoiled as my cats are/were. We spoil ourselves a little when we spoil our pets. :-)
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:05 AM   #46

ferny wrote:
Quote:
(see, I brought this post back to photography :-) )
see, I took it back again. Sorry! :-)
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:51 AM   #47

I'm 21. How old did you think I was? When I say last dog I mean the one we had before Pickles. I'd really love a Beagle when I'm older and know I can really commit to it. Not only that but also afford it. Pedigree dogs are bloody expensive!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:58 AM   #48

We wanted a Westie but they were £450 so we got our Jack Russell instead. He's a great little dog though. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 2:02 PM   #49

Ferny, I read every last word you wrote, interested in all of it. Other than agreeing with what Betsy said, there's something else, a possible reason why Scruffy bit you but never your mother. Dogs are pack animals and heirarchy is natural to them. Your mother was alpha dog, and he wouldn't dare, wouldn't even THINK of biting the dog above him. For any number of reasons, he may have gotten the idea that you were beneath him in the heirarchy. This would give him the right to show anger and aggression toward you. Any fear you might have had of him would have been immediately sensed by him, reinforcing his idea of your place in the pack. A bit startling to think of the humans in a family as a bunch of dogs, but from a dog's point of view, that's just what you are.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 2:54 PM   #50

I've thought about from that angle to but the most likely explanation was that he just didn't like people. My uncle brought his friend round once. He was a Taiwanese guy called Chan and we called him Charlie Chan. :lol: Scruff was wearing his muzzle like he always would when people came round. It was either that or lock him in a room. He couldn't be trusted with people who didn't know him. We were all in the garden and Scruff was growling away and shaking. Chan goes up to him, stands above him with one foot either side saying "You not such a bad dog. We have bigger dogs than you where I come from. You not so mean." Scruff starts growling a little more loudly and the shaking gets worse. "Come on doggy, show me your kind eye.". And on it went. Chan stroking and talking to him, Scruff getting a bit miffed and the rest of ourselves falling on the floor with laughter at the "Kind eye" remark. Safe to say, we didn't take the muzzle off and Chan and Scruff never gave each other a hug. :-)

Dogs are like people, they each have a personality. I think Scruff was just grumpy and it wasn't helped by people possibly abusing him. If it were a man, the smell and tone of another wouldn't have been welcomed by him either.