Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1

Here is my collection from the total solar eclipse of 1999. They're all circular, especially the 'diamond ring' one. Sorry about the quality – the ones near totality are TV screenshots from my Video8 camcorder because I couldn't work more than one camera at once as the sun peeped in & out of the cloud. The red shots far from totality were taken through makeshift filters cut from floppy disks.

The main reason for this posting is as an excuse for the following anecdote...

We stayed on a temporary 'eclipse' campsite on a racecourse in Alsace, NE France. The evening before the event there were eclipse lectures, in French. As an English family we are used to astronomical presentations from 81-year-old Sir Patrick Moore, the venerable gentleman who holds the record for longest-standing TV presenter, having presented the 'Sky at Night' BBC show continuously since 1957.

We heard from the French lecturer a line I'm sure we'd never hear from Sir Patrick:

"Viewing a partial eclipse is like a kiss; a total eclipse is like a night of passion" ('nuit passionelle').
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:26 AM   #2

Sure, the quality isn't quite there, but could any of us have done better? I, for one,couldn't have done it at all. My hat's off to you.

As an excuse to tell a little story, it workedquite well. I doubtyour proper English gentleman could ever have gotten pastsuch apassionate thought. Good one, Alan!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote