Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:32 AM   #11

Nice shot, I thought it may be a NY cap. I think i've missed a lot of photos in this challenge due to watching the football. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I think i've missed a lot of photos
And maybe gained a pound from munching madly while watching the games.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:41 PM   #13

Not from munching, from drinking too much beer. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:22 AM   #14

As always, awesome use of light. The V of light leading to the Y on the cap is masterful, making the Y into an integral part of that light. The basket and soft light circle offsetting the angular light on the hat. As always very cool.

I knew what the hat was right off, I've got one that says SF I wear every weekend when riding. (Maybe I should pluck off the F and make it personalized, hmm).

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:29 AM   #15

They've released some pointless figures for Euro2004. Things like each person will eat 42456 burgers which is 4432 cows or something equally silly. The only two figures I can remember are that each at England game the public will spend £116m (beer, food, etc.) and that we will each need to play 20 full games to burn off all the burgers.

Yes, someone was paid to work all that out.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:32 PM   #16

Thanks, Suzan. Your reaction made me immediately think of this:

I just finished writing e-mail to a photographer friend who's got an extremely different vision from mine. He's all landscape and natural light, I'm almost entirely studio and artificial light (unless the sun feels like behaving). He and I occasionally forget that, for instance, just because landscapes tend to leave me yawning, this doesn't mean his photos aren't still excellent, and the same goes for his dislike of studio photography and my pictures.

Suzan, you happened to see what I was seeing, and this is always so pleasing to a photographer, but none of us can expect everyone to like the same things or see things in the same way. I'm mentioning this because it occurs to me that, when analyzing the photos of others, we all have to think carefully about our criticism, making sure we never criticize ideas. Boy, is that ever tough, isn't it?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:39 PM   #17

i'm sry barbara....if i critisized your idea....it is a good idea..it just took me a while (i'm a little slow ) to pick up how the hat ties in.......

i really like the light stream pointing at the hat! very nice..
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:08 PM   #18

Vito, I didn't have you in mind at all when I wrote the above. My head was completely in the discussion I'd been having with my friend. It's just that when Suzan saw what I'd been getting at, it reminded me of the discussion. No reflection on you or anyone else, including me.

We all bring our own taste into photography, and we can't help but do it. There are certain photographic subjects and styles that I can hardly abide, andI constantly havetotell myself to just plain shut up. If I ever slip--and you'll know it when it happens--feel free to tell me toput a lid onit.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:41 PM   #19

There are lots of pictures on here that I don't strictly care for. Not because they're bad but because the style just doesn't appeal to me. I think I've quickly learned what style I like. At least what I currently like. This doesn't stop me from appreciating or giving respect to the author. What I try to do when I comment on a photograph is look at it and see what I wouldn't like if it were mine. Trying to spot things that I think the photographer didn't see when editing. Just like when you view a picture you've posted a few days later and spot things that you wonder why you didn't fix in the first place. That is what I do because I like it (most of the time) when people do it to me. It's how I learn. I hope people don't get offended by my posts or think I'm being big headed. That is a hazard of trying to learn and help sometimes (like with this post, I bet you're thinking I'm a right Wally whilst reading this). Besides, if I get caught up in a conversation about a photograph that I may not think is the worlds best, it may spark a bit of inspiration for me to go and give it a go in my own way.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:47 PM   #20

Great control of the light and the objects. Overall very well done.

Not a fan of still life in a studio.

I much rather prefer outdoor shooting, but then again having been in New York many times including winter and summer I can appreciate the feeling that indoors is sometimes best.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote