Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:06 PM   #21

Ferny and Selvin, both of you most definitely understand that little problem we all have by not being able to help but bring our personal taste to the table. I have an awful time with landscapes. For whatever reason, I just can't cozy up to them. I end up having to work much harder at commenting on them because of this, and as a matter of fact, if you all want a landscape challenge, could you please wait until I go on vacation? :-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:28 PM   #22

Very nice lighting! I am like you, Barbara - give me a close up any day. That's more art - I can look out my window any time I want.:-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:36 PM   #23

I'm getting more into close-ups now. Trying to find patterns in places we don't normally look for them. That and texture. I'm dibbling my toes into product style shots to. But I like a nice landscape now and then. Some can be stunning.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:12 PM   #24

I think we probably all go through phases. When I first started photography, I went for very stark landscapes with a single point of interest in them, but I was doing b&w film, and it fit well. My first digital snapped at anything and everything, but I homed in on flowers to the point where I still feel as if I over-ate. Then I thought I was supposed to do landscapes, so I kept trying to do them, but there seemed no life in them, probably because there wasn't. Couldn't a deer peek out from the shrubs or something? Even a woodchuck would do. I thought I was doomed, but then the light hit. I started out life in a school of art, for crying out loud. I didn'tillustrate what I saw; I created what was in my mind. What a dope! Thus, studio photographyis likehome to me.

I still wish I could do a decent landscape.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:08 AM   #25

see for me....i'd absolutely LOVE to take wildlife shots...but i'm lacking in the patience needed to do that, and i don't have the "dough" for the long lenses and dSLRs..lol

i really like lanscapes..but....with landscapes, you need to find something "different" about them...it can just be a boring ole' sunset (well not boring...but seen a lot)...you need something that jumps out at you for them

i really like studio shots, mainly for the fact that i have control....over EVERYTHING...(control freak?!...naahh)

close-ups are possibly my favorite...it's tough to say though, i love taking pictures of flowers, but that, like lanscapes, to be a great shot, or a selling shot, you have to have something "different"....it's tough sometimes to find that "difference" but it's wat photographers work for...

i really don't like taking portraits....that is the side of photography that takes the most patience, and, as i said, i don't have much patience...lol...i have taken a couple, but i won't likely venture past my "face on dark background" portraits...lol...a lot like the sketchpad self portrait i took...

hmm.....any more types? lol....

i guess still life is "studio plus close up" sometimes....that is something i enjoy to do also....

well....i'm done...lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:02 AM   #26

Withcoffee this morning, I was mulling over the notions we're touching on here, and it suddenly struck me that, unless we always take care to separate out taste, we're likely to miss things. For instance, say, like Selvin, you don't like studio work, but unlike him, you forget that this doesn't make it a lesser art form. The lighting, the arrangement, and the intent are no different beneath it all from outdoor photography. Is it more noble to find the light than it is to create it? Or looking at it from my studio mentality, is happening upon perfect lighting just plain old dumb luck? Or is being able to visualize the light and then create it a muchhigher art form? If any of you are familiar with the Hudson River School of painting, you know there can be a fascinating blend of the two notions. These painters found scenes that were beautiful to the eye, but they weren't happy to paint simple illustrations. They had visions of how the light should fall on riverand mountain, and they illustratedthis, the idea of an idyllic place, the vision, not what was but what could be.

Conclusion: No matter how we build our home, no matter what style we choose for it, we should compose it well and light it well. It shouldn't make a speck of difference whether we've built it of weathered wood or plastic, shouldn't matter if it's lit by skylight or halogen, shouldn't affect its quality if it's tiny instead of huge. What matters is its heart, and in photography, that heart is meaning, and the meaning is brought out by good composition.

Now that I've firmly lectured myself, let's see if I can keep it in mind.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:27 AM   #27

hmm...very true....

but...

somelandscapes are "planned"...to an extent....they watch the weather, check charts and maps, take quick trips to the planned destination to find the perfect composition, then watch the weather some more, wait for the time of year the sun will set in the best possible shot, and then go....

of course..i could be wrong...they could just randomly run into the perfectly lighting at the perfect spot..but i am not sure....

anyway...the trick to landscapes, is to have some special lighting or something to make it stick out...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:31 AM   #28

People can sit for hours perched on a rock with the camera pointing at some hills. Waiting for that special moment. A flock of birds, a break in the clouds.

Rather them than me. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:40 AM   #29

There's a cartoon I've never forgotten: Two buzzards sitting on the branch of a dead tree looking out over the hot desert. One grouchybuzzard says to the other, "Patience, my a~~, I'm gonna kill something!"