Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:56 PM   #1

Saw this street sign as I was walking home from the L train recently in Chicago, maybe I was lucky I was walking and not driving:

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:32 PM   #2

ahhhh...the ole' round-about! And we thought 4 way stops were invitations to disaster.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:01 PM   #3

hmm.....circles (roadway circles i mean) are confusing to begin with....that sign helps about as much as shooting yourself in the foot while you're driving....

lol

wat does the sign say on the bottom?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:19 AM   #4

Quote:
wat does the sign say on the bottom?
City of Chicago.

This is one of those setups that I strongly suspect are designed by a bunch of drunken road engineers at 3 a.m. Sometimes they get so drunk that they design what looks, by the light of day,like a plate of spaghetti.

You've taken an evidence photo, Selvin.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:00 AM   #5

Roundabouts - fine, great. Keeps the traffic moving but can suffer from congestion.
Traffic lights - stops traffic for a short time but insures every does move.
Putting traffics lights on a small roundabout near me which is known for heavy congestion - bloody stupid. Especially when they put stop lines all around it but don't put up any lights for a long time and your driving instructor doesn't even know what to do.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:03 AM   #6

Incidentally, this round about was really tiny. This was not one of those British deals with double lanes etc... All the more reason why it seemed a bit silly to have one and then that sign was bound to be confusing to the uninitiated.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:23 AM   #7

Oh, we have those silly things to. Sometimes two or three together. They must get lonely. There is one by the driving centre plopped at a T-junction in the quietest and narrowest of roads. It's been put there to test the learners. Fortunately I passed my test almost two years ago and don't have to contend with it any longer.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:16 AM   #8

I really like this sign, and the circle - and the implied circular reasoning! A Chicago sign?!? wow - wouldn't have guessed it'd be a US sign!

Is that finally you, Vito? You look older than your 15 years. Very nicely done, with the calligraphy all through it. :-)Nice to finally meet you!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:42 PM   #9

monkey143 wrote:
Quote:
I really like this sign, and the circle - and the implied circular reasoning! A Chicago sign?!? wow - wouldn't have guessed it'd be a US sign!

Is that finally you, Vito? You look older than your 15 years. Very nicely done, with the calligraphy all through it. :-)Nice to finally meet you!

thanks monkey that was the self portrait i had posted earlier made smaller and put some "scriptina" on it

lol....thinking in a circle....like my science books that have chapters about Evolution....and how they date the fossils but the layer of Strata it's found it, and the date the layer by what fossils they found there.....thinking in a circle...
quite humorous, but it gets old when you have to do a full chapter of it every year for 5-6 years....lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:33 PM   #10

ferny wrote:
Quote:
Oh, we have those silly things to. Sometimes two or three together. They must get lonely..
I've got what used to be a single big roundabout near me that they turned into four mini ones. When you add to that the University being just up the road and bear in mind I've seenforeign students going the wrong way round when it was a single roundabout. Imagine the chaos that ensues in rush hour.
Psycho Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote