Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:03 AM   #1
blr

Here is my contribution to the weekly chalenge. Captured with Olympus C5050 in manual mode and external flash (bounced)
Attached Images

blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:07 AM   #2

Nice shot, careful you don't scratch them. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:25 AM   #3

This could easily be a magazine illustration for an article on the merits of various types of CD coatings. Good composition and execution.

Question: I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the single dark circle. It appears to be part of a spindle that holds CD's. Am I correct or am I seeing it wrong?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:32 AM   #4
blr

Thanks jackrusselland bcoultry
My main problem with this shot was to find pristine discs and get rid of the dust. On these highly reflective surfaces every small dust particle shows clearly. I almost managed, the rest was cleaned up with some clonning.

The black disc is actually an old PlayStation disc. They are black. I threw it in just to add another variety. I tried to position it in the foreground but didn't like the result, so it ended up on the last row
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:56 AM   #5

Aha! Now I understand, and I also understand what made me think if was part of a container: the reflections on the discs include one that looks like a spindle just beneath the PlayStation disc.

Dust is an absolute pain on all reflective surfaces. I do a lot of work with a sheet of glass that, every single time it's used, needs to be washed and polished and then still requires a brush to pick up little dots here and there. Even after all this fiddling, I still have to digitally remove specks.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:05 AM   #6

Another entry I considered but am glad I didn't because I wouldn't have done it as well. Nice job.

My current choice of cd colour is green. There are some red ones next to me (aren't you interested...). If you hold up your PSX disc to the light you'll see that it is really blue. Just a very dark one.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7

I was considering doing something like that. I may still do it but a little differently. I would like to setup the CDs on a table outside in the sun (covered except when actually shooting) and see what a polarizing filter would do. I think it would greatly enhance the prismatic effects of the data layer and also produce prismatic effects from the plastic layer.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:23 AM   #8
blr

calr wrote:
Quote:
I was considering doing something like that. I may still do it but a little differently. I would like to setup the CDs on a table outside in the sun (covered except when actually shooting) and see what a polarizing filter would do. I think it would greatly enhance the prismatic effects of the data layer and also produce prismatic effects from the plastic layer.
It was exactly what I wanted but I didn't have the right adapter to attach my 52 mm polarizer to my digital camera, so I was left with experimenting with different bouncing angles of my external flash until I got the maximum prismatic effect under the given conditions. This one was taken with a single flash bounced from a white reflector sideways and @ about 45 degrees elevation. Give it a shot carl it would be interesting to compare the results.