Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:49 AM   #1

This plaque commemorating Revere's ride to warn the American patriots of the approaching Britishcan be found in a small park located behind the Old North Church where the lanterns were lit.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 3:12 AM   #2

Nice one selvin. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:59 AM   #3

The power of a poem: it has very nearly obliterated the fact that Paul Revere wasn't the only great citizen to alert the people.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:47 AM   #4

This is a big part of not only American history but also British and I can honestly say this subject has never been mentioned to me at school. In America you learn all about your countries history over here we learn almost nothing.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:52 AM   #5

ferny, my son is at secondary school and if i ask him a couple of capital cities n europe he hasn't got a clue so i don't know what his geography teacher is telling him. I think they spend more time playing on computers than anything else. Not too sure what his history is like but i expect it's all ancient Egyptrather than our history.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:59 AM   #6

nice shot selvin,

here is a shot, that i think i have a tip for, but i'm not sure if i'm right about this...

if you back up and zoom in it will take away the barrel effect (?) like, how the bricks curve upward....you can probable fix it in photoshop somehow.....with levelling the horizontal lines...ask sergio about fixing the barrel effect in PS...he knows how to do it i think....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:15 AM   #7

When I was in junior school I don't remember doing anything although I do remember another class doing Saxons. When I was in year six (the last year of junior school) we did a tiny bit about WWII. It was just making model Spitfires out of newspapers. The only reason we did that was because it was the 50th anniversary. I don't remember doing any geography either. The only stuff I can remember is English. Which probably why I hate reading. Yes, I'm one of them.

I don't know about Photoshop, but in PSP8 there is a plug-in that comes with the program to correct barrel, fisheye and pin cushion distortion. Good call on that vito, I never noticed it. I did pick up in it not being level though. Isn't it odd how the subject is a circle and we're talking about it not being level? I know there are bricks there and text, but I still think that last point was worth mentioning.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:27 AM   #8

Probably only Selvin can answer this, but when I saw the "distortion," I thought it was because the plaque might be on a curved wall, not an unknown setup even in brick. So, Selvin, is it distortion or a curved surface?

As for history, if you think of the actual volume ofit out there to be learned, you immediately realizewhy people can study the history of the world their entire lives and never learn more than a small part of it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:49 AM   #9

ferny, if you want to catch up with your history i suggest this book. I have it myself and it's a good read. :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...138649-4218818
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:03 PM   #10

To all, thanks for your kind comments.

To the keen eyed,

On my next walking tour of the area I will verify whether or not the wall is indeed slightly curved. I do know that the Olympus 730UZ does have some barrel distortion but the times I have noted it have been at objects some distance away especially horizons when the lens is at its widest angle. At telephoto the distortion is almost imperceptible.

As to the level ground. The area is paved with bricks (bricklayers must have made a very comfortable living in early America) many of which are very unevenly worn, thus the slight slant. Also, the bricks have settled unevenly with age. I deliberately left the slant in the picture. It's like the tiles around displays of young chicks in Museums, they tend to be well worn.

Take a look at this picture of the plaque about the signal lanterns, the bottom bricks are level but at the top you begin to see a tilt to the bricks.

Barbara, the power of a poem is indeed remarkable. I doubt that the vast majority of Americans had ever heard of William Dawes.

To our British comrades, don't despair, I doubt too many young Yanks, have a clue about William the Conqueror or the Magna Carta. But ask about Princess Diana or Harry Potter and need I say more.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote