Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:14 AM   #11

You're in good company, Pickles and ferny!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:09 AM   #12

Hello all. I'm afraid I won't be posting for awhile. My computer took on a nasty virus, and I'm tired of dealing with virus's period. So I'm contemplating cancelling my internet access, and just using my computer for working with my photo's.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 AM   #13

Bad news all the way around! I'm glad you stopped in to say "goodbye" and while I understand your frustration, I sure hope you do stay. :-)
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:39 PM   #14

NO!!! Don't go!!! Spend the time to clean up your hard drive, get Norton Anti-Virus, and maybe a decent firewall. Then suspect all e-mail attachments, even those that come from friends. These are thethings thathave kept me without virus and worm since 1999. Really, paranoia works just great. And anyway, you'll be missed, so please muse on this a little longer.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:47 PM   #15

Can I be really annoying and say that I've never had a virus and have only just started using an anti-virus?

*checks to make sure his e-mail address isn't visible after saying that*

Well, I've had one or two, but nothing major. I don't like Norton though. I had a virus which I knew I had for months and months but Norton never picked it up. Not once. I use www.sophos.com now. Norton also refuses to be deleted from your HDD. You do get there in the end.

And yeah, paranoia is the best anti-virus tool.
If you keep getting viruses from the same person, report them to their ISP, assuming it isn't masked, and contact your ISP so they can do something about it.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:34 PM   #16

Good input, ferny and Susie! Your cat knows so much about the computer... I have never had one, either. I use Norton's suite and it blocks what it detects as hackers (trojan horses) about once an internet session with me. Before I had it, I suppose all those trojan horses got through but nothing's ever happened to me, bad. Even when our firewall got destroyed here at work the day I applied for a credit card online and purchased something, as well as logged on to a bunch of sites with all my passwords, I called the SS office, TRW, Equiserve, etc. to report fraud on my credit reports, cancelled all my cards, etc. and nothing ever came of it. :-)Whew!
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:54 PM   #17

A trojan horse would be on your computer and attempting to access the internet, not someone on the internet trying to contact your computer. Norton is probably detecting a program running in the background which is harmless. Lexmark software for instance, likes to talk to the internet.
Here is my current activity (uptime below) and what Zone Alarm Pro has been up to. When I spent 14+ hours a day on IRC (I won't go into details...) it used to block four figure sums within a few hours. But none of them would be harmless. Just IRC servers being nosey most of the time.

I'd be more worried about the annoying admin who likes to see what you're using your computer for than the firewall going down. :lol: There is normally some git at a company who likes to steal credit card numbers and passwords. :shock:

edit- sorry about the large image. Photobucket is down so I can't host it there.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:57 AM   #18

You mean there's a way I can look at what you're doing on your computer?!??! :-)
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:41 AM   #19

Yep. There are programs out there that can be installed onto a computer and they log every key press. So if I installed it onto your HDD I could see what sites you've been to, what login you used and your password. It sits in the background and things like taskmanager won't show them. They're called key-loggers or something similar. There is a well known one but I forget what it's called. I don't think you can install these programs without being at the computer because they're to big. There may be smaller versions though. I don't know.

But that guy at where you work who controls and fixes the computers where you work can see what you're looking at right now.aranoid:

Oh, monkey whilst you're here. I want to type up a post for MoonGypsy which will contain links to programs to help him (or her, sorry I don't know. ). I would PM it but I think it would help others to. Can I start a new thread in this forum rather than posting it in this one and keep bumping it up to the top?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 9:22 AM   #20

Sure; why not! Good information to have.

Also,I think it's a him. :-)

And I knew about those little things you can attach to the computer; I look at my own from time to time here at work. I just thought you meant there was a remote way to do it. :-)