Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:58 AM   #1

Vito's and my first challenge together will be "Silhouettes." Everyone can do one. But not everyone can do one well. Perhaps you have a "mistake" that was to be a highlighted subject - or maybe you painstakingly planned a perfect silhouette. Anything goes - indoors, outdoors, landscape, studio. One wrench we'll throw in to make it more fun: if it's not an easily recognizable subject, allow us all to guess what it might be for a few days. Sit back, enjoy the guesses, then spring the answer on us when you can't stand the suspense any longer. This is not a necessary component of the challenge so don't hamper your photographic style by trying to disguise anything.

We're going to keep the challenge posting to a bi-weekly event since we‘re newbies.

Remember to include "Silhouettes" in your subject line before any other information you want to add.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:03 AM   #2

This should be good, i've never tried one before. I'm only half sure on how to go about doing one but i'll soon find out. Good idea this one, it'll teach me something new. That's why i keep having a go at these challenges, as the saying goes "You learn something new every day" or every two weeks in this case.:-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:26 AM   #3

Good, interesting challenge. Should put me and my camera to the test. Me for thinking of an idea and the camera for dealing with low light (lots of noise!).

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:55 AM   #4

Ferny, don't necessarily shoot for low light - silhouettes often happen when the light part is metered and the dark part is undetailed due to underexposure. Try these links for silhouette shooting.

http://www.photosafari.com/Silhouettes.asp

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Co...2002-09-14.htm

It will challenge me, too. I've never done one. My roomie in college tried to do a back-lit nude with one of our sorority sisters and got it backwards - she front-lit the girl and exposed for the body, not the background light. Needless to say, it was one sought-after photo we had to quickly dispose of properly. I have two cut-out silhouettes on my wall of my sister and I when we were babes. I could always take a picture of that... :-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:01 AM   #5

I think you've just unintentionally exposed a loop-hole in this week's challenge that I may try to exploit. :-)

With anything dark, my camera produces noise. If it's not got any dark in it, it's not a silhouette, right? I'm really interested in getting a new digital which will give me more control and less noise. But I'm holding back.

Thanks for the links, I'll read them in a minute. I've got a couple of ideas to.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:56 AM   #6

Anything dark gives you noise? I'm sorry - that's kind of crappy. But you never know how you can make that work for you...:-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:50 AM   #7

oh good...you got some links thanks betsy!

btw....ferny!

Neat image!!! great with noise...try it out!

it's free!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:55 AM   #8

I have neat image but don't need it now. The edge preserving smooth tool in PSP8 is better. It's not that anything dark gives me noise, I was wrong to say that. It is most things that aren't lit very well. There is a subtle difference.

I've just realised that people with fully auto cameras may struggle. People with spot exposure will find this easier. But I may be wrong.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:02 AM   #9

well...this is wat you do ferny

you hold down the shutter release halfway on the bright part, then slide over to put the "silhouetted object" where you want it....that way it exposes for the light, and leaves the dark....well..dark

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10

That is the simple way, yes. I thought that when reading one of monkeys links but I forgot. :roll:
I think I'll go back into hiding before I make a fool of myself. Whoops!