Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:19 PM   #1

One halogen lamp spotlighting white cloth draped in background, one wine glass with water colored with vegetable coloring (no wine in house), pre-focus manually, one hand about to pick up glass, other hand pressing the cable's shutter release. Some levels and saturation adjustment, bit of a crop, and sharpening.

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:24 PM   #2

wow....that is absolutely great! composition, lighting technique, silhouette...the colors are fantastic too

no wine in the house isn't a bad thing ice tea works!

ok....was this cloth underneath it too? or just draped....i'm gonna need a picture of your set up....cuz the effect is just wonderful....(lol....can i PLEASE have a picture of the set up..)

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:26 PM   #3

Nice shot, did you drink the wine after you took the shot. Is this the lamp you told me about in another thread, the one with the flexible neck.:-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:50 PM   #4

Vito, the setup is so simple that I can draw a picture of it in words: I supported a full-size mat board from behind, getting it to stand nearly vertical. The cloth was large enough to hang over the top of the mat board and then swoop down and into the foreground where I placed the glass. The halogen lamp is of the desk variety (yes, Jackrussell, it's the one I described to you), and I chose it specifically because it has a small black shade, allowing me to direct the light onto the background cloth while keeping as little light as possible from spreading onto my hand. All of this was set up in the basement to keep out stray light.

This was NOT my very own idea. I saw a silhouette that included a glass in one of my magazines, and I thought, "Cool! Gotta try this!"
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:52 PM   #5

Whoa...breathtakingly, achingly good...Barbara...really.

It makes want to go out...

Find some red wine, wild rice...and salmon to grill.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

Darn it all, Digcamfan! I'm sitting here starved and you go and start talking about food! This forum is eventually cause all of us to go on diets.

Thank you so muchfor the compliment (but not the food). :-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:11 PM   #7

My kind of meal Digi.......sub a good German import for the vino but otherwise.....
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:17 PM   #8

that's wat i figured barbara...but i'd like to know your technique on keeping the sheet so "non-wrinkled"!

thanks for telling me

keep that magazine around!

Vito
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:23 PM   #9

It wasn't a sheet. It's a couple yards of white jersey that I bought specifically for still lifes. Jersey doesn't wrinkle the way sheeting does.

The next time you go to Wal-Mart, go into their fabric department. They always have a table or two loaded with fabric for one or two dollars a yard. That's where I got the jersey. Look for basic colors and pick up a few yards of each. Black, white, and cream to start. If you're not sure which fabrics will drape best and if your mom is good with such stuff, ask her to help out.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:28 PM   #10

jersey...that's wat it's called? hm...it isn't by any chance the material that "jerseys" are made right? lol

i'll have to look it up...

thanks!

Vito