Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1

I spotted this balloon on my way to work this morning. Minolta S414, Auto.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 1:10 PM   #2

Nice one calr, do you take your camera everywhere with you?. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 3:13 PM   #3

But it's not a silhouette...?

A couple of years ago, I watched one of those babies crash land in the field next door. The only thing harmed was the poor guy's dignity.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 3:44 PM   #4

You like this one better? I reduced the saturation and got rid of that white spot on the right side.

Jack, yes, I carry the Minolta just about everywhere I go. It lives in my briefcase. I carry my D100 about 80% of the time.

Old Jun 26, 2004, 4:31 PM   #5

Yes, now it's more of a silhouette. Now, could you lighten the sky back up to match the original?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:34 PM   #6

I felt the same as bcoultry but thought I'd wait to see what more knowledgeable people would say. I didn't want to be wrong after all. :-)

Calr, create a duplicate layer and reduce the brightness and up the contrast of the top layer. Then delete the sky from the top layer. That should do it.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:10 PM   #7

But try Levels or Curves first. It might be all that's needed. Or not.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 7:03 PM   #8

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I felt the same as bcoultry but thought I'd wait to see what more knowledgeable people would say. I didn't want to be wrong after all. :-)
I take that leap of faith all the time. I am often wrong. :-)

I ditto what everyone else has said, being the latecomer to the subject (see, ferny, how easy that was? No risk involved :lol
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 7:38 PM   #9

I have gone back and looked at the original image that came out of the camera and realized that I have tried to make it something it's not and I don't believe in doing that.

Initially, I thought the picture was much darker than it was and might qualify as a silhouette, but alas, it does not. I think it is a potentially nice picture with some contrast, histogram, and saturation adjustments but I do not want to try to enhance the balloon and merge it with an enhanced sky. I should have spot metered on the balloon. However, I only had a few minutes to get the shot.

I am a photographer from the old school. I firmly believe in trying to get the best picture out of the camera and not trying to create a Rolls-Royce out of an old Volkswagen Beetle in photo editing software.

I shot several pictures of the balloon this morning. A couple shots from directly below the balloon I think are quite good. I will post those in one of the other forums.

I thank everyone for your suggestions. I need to learn those techniques but with artistic goals in mind.

I will be posting some additional shots for the challenge but they will definitely be silhouettes.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 8:01 PM   #10

Quote:
I am a photographer from the old school.
That old school is alive and well. All the best photographers out there, the ones earning their livings with their cameras, believe in getting the image as close to perfect as they can right inside the camera, and it has nothing to do with when they first starting taking pictures.

That said, photography shouldn't be shackled by the idea that it's "cheating" to manipulate an image. Ifthis were a valid notion, we'd never have been blessed by any of the great painters down through the ages. It's not the medium that counts; it's the vision.