Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:18 AM   #41

you guys are too much fun...!

discodudette wrote:
Quote:
...The forum bosses became forum dictators...

oh man, i just remembered a good joke about dictators...but its not appropriate and "Bito" would just delete, wouldnt you Bito?

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 2:03 AM   #42

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I'm not the only person to not look at peoples name and instead notice the avatars?
Gee, I finally take the time to put an avatar below my name and nobody even notices? Go on, surprise me, somebody ask me what the heck my avatar is all about... (hint, hint)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:09 AM   #43

Hey geoffs. That's a nifty avatar you have there. It's a new one isn't it? I bet there is an interesting story behind it. Please do tell us what it is.

:lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:30 AM   #44

Hehe... I thought you'd never ask...

That is a frame from the movie "To Hell and Back". The movie starred Audie Murphy (playing himself)who was the US's most decorated soldier of WWII and this was the recounting of his experiences during the war. The soldier pictured here is not Audie Murphy, but one of the soldiers he commanded in his platoon. This soldier was a Polish fellow named Kovak in the movie, but in real life the stage name of the actor playing him was Richard Castle - my mother's brother!

I watched the movie a week ago (about the 10th time I've watched it) and decided to use the frame as my avatar, at least for awhile...
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:16 PM   #45

bradg wrote:
Quote:

oh man, i just remembered a good joke about dictators...but its not appropriate and "Bito" would just delete, wouldnt you Bito?
"Bito'"s on vacation but it is a family show! We have people on here young enough to be my children! :-)

What a fascinating story, geoffs! That really is neat. Someone once asked me who Audie Murphy was and I said and actor, and he laughted and me and said, "no, a soldier." I guess we were both right! What a great story and nice avatar! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:22 PM   #46

Quote:
monkey143 wrote:
Someone once asked me who Audie Murphy was and I said and actor, and he laughted and me and said, "no, a soldier." I guess we were both right!*
Didn't he play Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop I, II and III?

And what monkey said about your story goes for me to.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 2:06 PM   #47

Thanks for the avatar compliments, monkey and ferny! It was really difficult to get that crop of one frame down to a decent size to use as an avatar (15k, sheesh). I couldn't do it at all using jpeg and had to use gif compression to get it down far enough in size.

I did a little more research into my uncle's career and found out that he had the following additional credits to his career:

Movies:
---------
Running Wild (1955)
Six Bridges To Cross (1955) - Tony Curtis was the star of this film

TV Shows:
-------------
Ben Casey - 1 episode in something like 1964
The Cisco Kid - 2 episodes in 1955, this was a kiddy western

Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:34 PM   #48

Wow - we have royalty here! Cool. I was in my high school's fourth grade production of A Christmas Carol (I was the solicitor) and my sister was a munchkin in her Senior production of the Wizard of Oz. :-)And, of course, my grandmother was in the print ad for baked beans in the challenge a couple months ago. Oh - my great great aunt actually taught the Von Trapp family (english) at one point. Writing her letters was terrible for her criticism of our style. And my hubby had a song on the radio that is still used in a local restaurant commercial. Nothing very exciting but my life nonetheless. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:13 PM   #49

Hey, monkey, sounds like you've got a bit of fame (and fortune?) in your family!

Unfortunately, regardless of the roles that my uncle was able to get in the 1950's and 1960's, he was one of the many starving actors that we don't usually hear much about. We tend to only "see" the few actors/actresses that are successful, and not thinking too much about all the not so successful ones.

You want another interesting family fact? Even if you don't, I'm going to tell you :-) My wife's great-grandfather on her father's side was one of the actors in the Great Train Robbery silent film of 1903.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:43 AM   #50

Is bito? errrr, i mean vito

i sure wereever he is at, they must have internet....

i know its a family show, and im a youngin, thats why i didn't share the joke...

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote