Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

I've struggled with this challenge. I don't want to create a silhouette with lights an props if I can help it (although I have plans to) and instead wanted to capture one. My camera is fully auto so I gave it a go by pointing it at a lit area and half pressing the button then taking a picture of my subject. It came out with perfect exposure. :lol: The next attempt was to take a picture of three magpies which have been visiting the garden for the last couple of weeks, one is a baby and the other two its parents. They were sitting on a television aerial down the road but by the time I'd gone to get the camera one had flown away. When I focused it a second flew away. So I gave up.

This picture is one I took a few months ago with my 35mm camera with a 90-300mm zoom (is it ok to post 35mm in the challenges?). It's of one of the squirrels who visit our garden. He was sitting in an Ash. The picture came out very dark and I wasn't happy with it. Today I was looking through some old photos (old, I've had the camera since February) comparing them to some film I'd just had developed and printed because I wasn't happy with the colours on the new print. I found this in with them. All I've done is turn it B&W and removed lines which my scanner lives to put all over it. I tried making it fully black, but it looked wrong without any detail.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:17 PM   #2

This is a truly nice picture. (It's digital because you digitized it.:-)) The DOF really worked for you with this, creating a nice, soft background.

As much as you want to "find" a silhouette, you might do better to set one up and practice with it until you can figure out how to consistently fool that camera of yours.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:59 PM   #3

This one makes me smile. Very nice. He looks so charming and so unaware and so unlike the squirrels that plague my father's birdfeeders! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:22 AM   #4

I'll confess, it was all camera side. This was the second or third film I put through the camera and I had it in full auto-mode, spotted on the squirrel. There are two others where the squirrel is on the left of the picture. They're not as well exposed though.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 5:33 AM   #5

Nice one ferny. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:17 AM   #6

nice shot....i love the lighting on it's leg..

35mm count....they technically are digital once they are scanned anyway...but yeah....35's are fine....

it's gonna be fun trying to trick your camera into taking silhouettes...hmm....try sunset, or a subject in shadow with a bright background, and stand somewhere you know flash won't reach, and use flash....that "should" work....lol

have fun!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:54 AM   #7

Ah, ferny, where's our beloved Pickles? Has the kitty frightened her away? :-)And who is this newest, adorablemember of your avatar family?
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8

That would be Susie. She used to belong to the lady next door. Susie was always wandering about when I played football outside and I always said hello to her. She used to jump through the landing window to say hello to me sometimes. When the lady next door died no-one in her family wanted Susie so we took her in. She is really shy but has come out of her shell since we got Pickles. I think she is fed up of getting chased and has started to do some chasing. I saw her in a tree for the first time today (Susie, not Pickles ).

Pickles will be back at some point I'm sure.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:09 PM   #9

There's Susie with her happy, furry smile, and then, right above her is Betsy with her own smile and her happy, furry hat.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:14 PM   #10

That is Susie's "Get that macro lens away from my face I've already run away twice can't you get the idea thicko!" look. :lol: