Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:55 PM   #11

I like this. The angel looks a little flat, tho, against the depth of the woods.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:57 PM   #12

My first thought was that it looked like a scene from the land of the fairies in Lord of the Rings, then you post the pic of Liv Tyler...perfect. Thanks Serg
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:22 PM   #13

nice ferny...but in a shot like that, to look like it "fits" you'd have to make a shadow for the angel....or....the wings of the angel..

nice other than that though!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:06 PM   #14

About Angels

RGRottswrote :

Quote:
My first thought was that it looked like a scene from the land of the fairies in Lord of the Rings, then you post the pic of Liv Tyler...perfect. Thanks Sergio
There was also a scene with Galadriel but, well, Liv Tyler is Liv Tyler !

Barbara, thanx for the link. (btw,thoseimagealso reminds meofSpielber's "A.I. Artificial Intelligence"Pinocchio's Blue Fairy )

I was wondering : since when most of the angels in the iconography have been represented with a diffuse glowbehind their shoulders ? Maybe it all started with Cinema ? I don't remembr of classic picture with this effect.

However , this link gave the opportunity to ferny to create his own fake !

Not so bad, ferny, keep on faking !

Some hints for refining it :
  • First, and maybe the most noticeable, the angel should be scaledin a more realistic scale : he doesn't seem to have the same proportions as of the surrounding elements : it looks a little bit smaller than what it should be.[/*]
  • I would try adding a diffuse glow layer effect to the layer with the angel and experiment with its parameters.[/*]
  • The shadow, yes, but only if it fits the new scale of the angels !( it can be possible that , given the shot dimension, thesun and the angel positionand the new scale the real shadow of the wings would go beyond the bottom of the shot. ) However, to create a plausible shadow for this particular problem the usual drop shadow effect would not be good ! This effect does not manage perspective ! I would do it this way :[/*]
    • copy the angel to a new layer[/*]
    • select it, using antialias and an appropriate feather (this will need some trials to find out the good one ),[/*]
    • use the airbrush to make it completly black ( but for the feathered zone )[/*]
    • Copy and paste to a new layer ( and hide the previous one)[/*]
    • Now you have the angel shape (keep it selected !)[/*]
      • Rotate\Vertical Mirror[/*]
      • And now the perspective with Image ( or modify) \Free Transform to enlarge the lower part.
      [/*]
    • Change layer blend mode to multiply or keep it to normal and just play with blend opacity to reveal the ground beneath the shadow.
[/*]
As I said, not so bad, ferny, keep on faking !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:25 PM   #15

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
Sergio, i've just been looking at your website. There's some great stuff on there, you should stick a few more on here to inspire new boys like me. :-)
Thanx jackrussel.

All of the 400 shots in my website have been posted at steves ( I usually update my website andI post at steves at the same time).

You can have a look at all of them, along with my usual P.S. section and with the members comments,by going to my profile and selecting Topics, or simply byclicking here :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...pics_started=1

Notice :
  • You will see only 251 topics posted instead of 400 cause in many occasions I posted more that one shot in a single post.[/*]
  • most of the posts before October 2003 (when I created my gallery at fotopic.net) will show a broken link to the image: this is due to the fact that they point to my previous provider who suddenly decided images could not be accessed directly (this was also the main reason for which I moved to fotopic.net, thanx to Kex suggestions ). If u are intersted into a particular one just write me a PM and I'll restore the link to the corresponding shot at fotopic.net.
[/*]
[line]

My Web Gallery : http://brtsergio.fotopic.net

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:29 PM   #16

I've checked your photos Sergio, some great stuff from your country. My mum and dad went to Rimini once and they said it was a beautiful place. You've got some good silhouette shots in there too. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote