Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:27 PM   #1

Back yard pigeon taken with a Digital Rebel. Before you ask...yes, I am knee deep in them. :-)
Attached Images

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:37 PM   #2

Wow - many of the same components as brtsergios, yet a totally different photo. Love the gradient sky. Such a nice silhouette. Very soothing. :-)

Slightly off-topic: are you well pleased with your Rebel? We'll probably get my dad one for his retirement gift since he's a Canon loyalist (I love my Pentax!).
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:51 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments.

It is funny that you say that. I have a special feeling for Pentax, as it was my first camera that I paid for and owned. I learned originally from my father's Kodak Retina. I still have the SF10 that I bought new in 88, with several lenses.

When I was looking at digital SLRs, I was strongly swayed towards the istD, but found it too expensive. I liked the Canon's price point better, and for the same price as the istD, I could buy a better faster and newer lense to supplement the kit lens compared to my old first/second generation autofocus lenses.

I love the camera. It takes beautiful pictures, and there is plenty of room to grow with it. Your father is a lucky guy if he does get one as a gift.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:04 AM   #4

Nice one Chako. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:06 AM   #5

Chako wrote:
Quote:
When I was looking at digital SLRs, I was strongly swayed towards the istD, but found it too expensive. I liked the Canon's price point better, and for the same price as the istD, I could buy a better faster and newer lense to supplement the kit lens compared to my old first/second generation autofocus lenses.

I love the camera. It takes beautiful pictures, and there is plenty of room to grow with it. Your father is a lucky guy if he does get one as a gift.
Thank you for your input! The reason I went with the Pentax was (1) such positive experiences wiht my K1000, (2) lens compatibility [but I went ahead and bought new ones, anyway since features have improved since I bought my older ones 23 years ago!] (2)reviews said that while the extra features and more solid feel/construction of the Pentax over the Rebel weren't a good value, they wereimprovements nonetheless - and since I intend to keep the camera a long time, they were worth it to me.

My dad's a Canon afficionado and the Rebel is rated the best for the buck and all owners I've run across (and some I've run over! :-)) are absolutely thrilled with them. Since he's technologically deficient, I intend to purchase it (as well as basic necessities for its use but nothing more so he can build on as he wishes), read the manual cover-to-cover, test each feature immediately (in case it needs to go back), and put it all back together as new for him. That way I can also answer any questions he may have. Thanks for reaffirming the decision! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:55 AM   #6

Yes, I am also a Pentax aficionado recently converted to Canon..lol. I also have a P3 to go along with my SF10. I am also well acquainted with the K1000s as well.

Anyhow, if he has large hands, he should get himself a BG-E1 battery grip. It gives him a place to put 2 batteries for longer photo sessions, a portrait shutter button and added support buttons such as AE, etc, but most importantly, it changes the feel of the camera extensively. I have large hands, and the original camera felt good in my hands, but with the battery grip, it is a different camera based upon feel. It adds weight, surface area, etc...and just makes the camera feel more comfortable. I think its the best accessory to add to the camera. I seriously do. Add this with a hand side sling, and you have something you can walk around all day without having the camera bang around your neck.

The only downfall of the Canon Rebel is two fold.

1- Can't select meter modes. However, there are some easy workarounds to this. You want spot, click on the AE lock button, you want center weight, go into manual mode. This doesn't bother me, as all equipment have pros and cons, and learning how to best use what you have, is most of the fun of photography!

2- Can't select focus modes. The camera decides this for you. If it detects a moving object, then it will track it, etc. Personally, this isn't so bad. I can always manually focus on the fly using a USM ring lens if need be. Sport mode gives you auto tracking focus all the time, but doesn't give you the leeway of control over shutter and aperture.

There is a hack going around that changes the camera firmware to allow FEC, mirror lock up, and a few other things...but I haven't tried it, and it sounds like your father won't need to try it either.

I am happy with the camera. My last camera purchase in the SLR category was that SF10 back in 88.There is a huge difference in technology between SLR cameras of yesterday, to those of today. For instance, I was blown away with the 7 focus points, and especially the tracking focus feature. Sure beats having to slowly zoom to your subject and focus (if you are lucky depending upon the horizontal/vertical lines) to take a picture.

I still catch myself wanting to change the aperture on the Canonlenses, from time to time.:-)

Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:11 AM   #7

Chako, you've created perfect composition in this one! Finally, a use has been found for these messy birds, eh?

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote