Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:14 AM   #1

Just fiddling with Photoshop.

Any feedback appreciated, as usual.
Attached Images

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:25 AM   #2

I like this - and what a great concept! The things for me that look a little incongruous are the angle of the photo - it's too orderly for my abstract mind- I'd pivot it a little down to the right, to parallel "lines," especially if it bumped the corners of the photo off the artwork. I'd probably also tighten up the vertical letters a little and give the text a splash of color somehow. Give it a pattern of water, maybe? Just my thoughts - hope I don't offend.Perhaps this would make a great challenge - a photo that says what it is, in some way. Interesting.

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:08 AM   #3

As Betsy noted, you've an intriguing idea here. I sat back from the screen trying to figure out what was bothering me, and finally it occurred to me that all of it is housed in a square frame, which is a format that rarely works because it's static. I think the contents need to be set inside a larger white space, probably portrait mode, with the greater amount of space given to the right side, possibly setting the design toward the bottom left. Of course, this is merely how I see it. It has nothing at all to do with what's right or wrong.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:27 PM   #4

I would probably go with Landscape layout because I'm starting to see this as a postcard - I hope that doesn't trivialize what you were trying to do, brtsergio. There's another idea - a postcard. As I PMd someone earlier with an idea, I think Vito and I have ideas to get us through until September - of 2014! :-)The challenges are easy to find - it's the solutions that require the thinking. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:57 PM   #5

Graphically, this is very interesting. I like how the horizon and mast are parallel to the frame edges and how the angled component in the photo seems to compliment the 30-60-90 degree angles created by the orientation of the photo in the frame. I lean toward thinking that the texttends to distractfrom the graphic elements, but I love it....Good stuff!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:40 PM   #6

Thank you very much! I'll reply in a longer post.

For the moment it's good to have all of your feedbacks on a shot that did not convinced me completly !
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:32 AM   #7

From what little I've seen of small town America, I think many of you have interesting tangles of power lines and telephone wires nearby, creating intriguing patterns, so you don't need to go to the coast for these images. If we had any Japanese members, I know there are even bigger tangles there.

In the UK, outside my home, we've just gone down from 4 wires to one bundled fatter cable, but it's nicely obstructing my favourite view.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:33 PM   #8

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
In the UK, outside my home, we've just gone down from 4 wires to one bundled fatter cable, but it's nicely obstructing my favourite view.
I suppose it's impractical to bury these cables, but I wish they'd do it anyway.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:19 AM   #9

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
It has nothing at all to do with what's right or wrong.
Barbara: probably portrait mode

monkey143 : would probably go with Landscape layout

monkey143: The things for me that look a little incongruous are the angle of the photo - it's too orderly for my abstract mind- I'd pivot it a little down to the right, to parallel "lines," especially if it bumped the corners of the photo off the artwork.

RGRotts: I like how the horizon and mast are parallel to the frame edges and how the angled component in the photo seems to compliment the 30-60-90 degree angles created by the orientation of the photo in the frame.

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
It has nothing at all to do with what's right or wrong.
[line]

I waspersonally in doubt between rotating it this way or slanting it.

The static "square" is a very intersting observation: no matter if the rectangle wil then be in portrait or landscape.

I was also in doubt about the "poorness" of the fonts, and all of the white space left.

Thanx monkey143 for your suggestions on fonts.