Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:53 PM   #11

Uh...Sergio...are you agreeing with that? And if you are, does this mean you'll no longer imitate comic-book art? And what about that beautiful horse in its stall at the race track, the photo that looks like an impressionistic painting? :-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:50 AM   #12

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
Uh...Sergio...are you agreeing with that? And if you are, does this mean you'll no longer imitate comic-book art? And what about that beautiful horse in its stall at the race track, the photo that looks like an impressionistic painting? :-)
Ah Ah, clever provocation !

Uh, definitly no , Barbara, of course :-)!

The interpretation I gave of the originalquote was Photography doesn't have to follow someone else steps being just a pureimitation of something else. It has its own particular expression possibilities it has to exploit in order to grow and reach its own identity.

Definitly a declaration of independence and an encouragement to follow its own inclinations. ( Photography wasn't considered an art at all in the beginning , if I remember well !).

I just revamped the sentence appying it to Digital Photography.

In this case the meaning I wanted it to have was this :

"Digital Photography doesn't have to be a pure imitation of Photography (in this case ) : it has its ownparticular expression possibilities it has to exploit in order to grow and reach its own identity."

So, if I like to quote Roy Lichtenstein's work creating a comics out of a shot

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=55

or use digital filters and brushes toget what you call an impressionistic lookout of an horse shot in order tosomehow express the sad feeling I had of this animal closed in a cage looking at the sun outside

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=62

is not to be interpreted as a purely imitating other arts but as exploiting possibilities Digital Photography offers to everybody that would have been otherwise very hard to get (and very expensive too) with traditional photography.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:49 PM   #13

Bravo, Sergio!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote